Last Movie you Watched?

1966967968969970972»

Comments

• mattjoesmattjoes At my most trollish behavior
    talos7 wrote: »
    JCVD's career was hurt by his excesses and ego. That is unfortunate; he is actually a very talented actor and has displayed a range beyond just being an action star.
    Yeah. I'm happy that despite the setbacks, his career has shown longevity and he can still deliver quality films and performances. He has fared much better than one of his peers, you know who, the one who likes to eat carrots.

Ever since Until Death (2007), JCVD has played characters with more depth than the norm. The films themselves have been more sombre, and some of them are amongst his best films.
    I have yet to explore the 2000s era of Van Damme. I've only seen parts of those films on TV, but I totally want to check out Until Death, Wake of Death, The Hard Corps, The Shepherd and Universal Soldier 3 and 4. The latter received some unexpectedly high praise from major publications!

Tracy wrote: »
    La Casse 1971

corrupt cop wants piece of action from burglars in Athens

stars Belmondo/Omar S

wasnt that excting imo.....4/6
    Speaking of Belmondo, my latest watch is The Loner (Le solitaire) (1987). Watching Belmondo enter cafés and slap criminals around doesn't get old. The film is cut from the same cloth as Le marginal, but it has less action. I wouldn't have minded a car chase, but 'twas a good time!
    The Long Good Friday (1980). Powerhouse movie, I was addicted to the music and Bob Hoskins’s performance. He’s one of my favorites, so it was a treat to finally see this breakout role.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Ever since Until Death (2007), JCVD has played characters with more depth than the norm. The films themselves have been more sombre, and some of them are amongst his best films.
    I have yet to explore the 2000s era of Van Damme. I've only seen parts of those films on TV, but I totally want to check out Until Death, Wake of Death, The Hard Corps, The Shepherd and Universal Soldier 3 and 4. The latter received some unexpectedly high praise from major publications!

I didn't really care much for UniSol: Reneneration, but Day Of Reckoning had a visceral style unique in the UniSol films. And of course having Scott Adkins as the lead, makes up for JCVD being a supporting part in Day Of Reckoning.

Until Death is one of my favourite JCVD films. It won't be for everyone, but if you like the more sombre films like Assassination Games, Six Bullets etc..., then I think you'll approve.
    Dwayne wrote: »
    Not a “Last Movie Watched”, but one that intend to revisit very soon after coming across this informative Youtube video several days ago. SILENT RUNNING (1971) used to be on TV quite a lot in the late 1970s as part of the sci-fi craze post STAR WARS. I purchased the blu-ray a couple of years ago but have never quite got around to re-watching it.

The film’s premise is a bit far-fetched, but its heart is in the right place, and that final shot of “Dewey” watering the plants is among the most poignant that I have ever seen (still). Directed by Douglas Trumbull and starring Bruce Dern, the film is yet another example, that one doesn't need a super large budget to make a compelling film.

david-eagan-screenshot002.jpg?1553673221

:((

Fantastic film. Great effects! Bruce Dern is tremendous in it! The card game with the robots is a hoot!
    Very glad to see other fans of The Parallax View.
    Godzilla 2000 Millenium :

Pretty much a middle of the road Godzilla movie, but still entertaining, despite some (very) bad CGI (even for the time). Still, my viewing was a bit tainted by a glitch at the 29 minute mark (I may have lost a scene because of that), and some of the worst english subtitles I've ever seen.

Now, I don't know what I should do : buy the Criterion Shoa collection and resell the ones I've already have (escept for three of them, which are in my Heisei era sets), or getting the last two I'm missing indifvidually (but one of them is really expensive) ? For the Millenium and Reiwa era, I'll have to buy them individually, at least if we can get Godzilla Minus One with at least english (or hopefully, french) subtitles. Too bad the Criterion Collection didn't do sets for the Heisei and Millenium series.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    @Gerald. With two exceptions the Millenium era films suffered a bit from being "Godzilla by the numbers." Enjoyable, but little new IMO. I like them all the same and it was great to see Toho bring back some sci-fi favorites like Yuriko Hoshi for small roles in the newer films.

The two exceptions (for me) being GMK and FINAL WARS BTW.

As for what you should do, by all means buy the Criterion Showa Era Collection Box Set as it is the only place to find the Japanese edit of KING KONG vs. GODZILLA outside of Japan. And both versions are almost never streamed due to copyright reasons.

That said, whether you should sell your existing copies depends on their quality. Beginning in 2004 or so, Classic Media/Sony (in north America) had the rights to 7 of the Showa era titles and those disks contained both the Japanese and US edits of the films as well as ready informative auto commentary tracks from a variety of Godzilla film historians. As you are probably aware, the Criterion Box Set only contains the Japanese edits of the films, and the auto commentary/extras were not carried over. For example, the Japanese edit of MOTHRA vs. GODZILLA does NOT contain the sequence where U.S. military officials help Japan against Godzilla. As a result, I held onto my older copies of the films even though they were just of DVD quality.

8001814_so.jpg

The good news is that
    1. There are few differences among the non-Showa era titles and
    2. Criterion has just acquired the rights to the first four Heisei (of 7 films in total). When the current rights holders for those films expire, there is a chance that Criterion could bid for them, in which case a 2nd box set could happen someday.