Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    NOSFERATU, A SYMPHONY OF HORROR (1922)
    a.k.a. Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des
    Grauens

poster-500.jpg

Impressive, to say the least. This was a rewatch, I had seen it a few years ago too.

The first acts are set mostly in Transylvania and are fabulously moody while building up the story superbly well. These acts work better for me than the final ones I must admit. Overall, though, a phenomenal achievement and a must-see for all film fans.

To be perfectly honest, I prefer the Herzog-Kinski version from 1979, but that doesn't take anything away from this one at all.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Grauens

poster-500.jpg

Impressive, to say the least. This was a rewatch, I had seen it a few years ago too.

The first acts are set mostly in Transylvania and are fabulously moody while building up the story superbly well. These acts work better for me than the final ones I must admit. Overall, though, a phenomenal achievement and a must-see for all film fans.

To be perfectly honest, I prefer the Herzog-Kinski version from 1979, but that doesn't take anything away from this one at all.

I love both versions (and I'm eager to love the Eggers film as well), but I do cheat a little with the 1922 classic. I have 'burnt' the frightening score for Under The Skin on the movie and have since been watching it like that. The result is much to my liking. It makes it easier, I think, to regard the film as a horror film with the proper mood established via music.

Ether way, I have come to like the Nosferatu films more than any Dracula (in name) adaptation so far.
    edited August 12 Posts: 7,054
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Grauens

poster-500.jpg

I love both versions (and I'm eager to love the Eggers film as well), but I do cheat a little with the 1922 classic. I have 'burnt' the frightening score for Under The Skin on the movie and have since been watching it like that. The result is much to my liking. It makes it easier, I think, to regard the film as a horror film with the proper mood established via music.

Ether way, I have come to like the Nosferatu films more than any Dracula (in name) adaptation so far.

I agree, from a cinematic point of view the Nosferatu films are just overall more expertly executed than the Dracula ones, though I must say I do love the Hammer series and the Coppola adaption.

Btw, did you ever check out Nosferatu a Venezia? I think internationally it's called Vampire in Venice... It's also with Klaus Kinski, and it's, well, something else :)) Bonkers, messy, chaotic but also really atmospheric and moody. Just plain weird all thogether, but I enjoy it immensily.
    Grauens

poster-500.jpg

I agree, from a cinematic point of view the Nosferatu films are just overall more expertly executed than the Dracula ones, though I must say I do love the Hammer series and the Coppola adaption.

Btw, did you ever check out Nosferatu a Venezia? I think internationally it's called Vampire in Venice... It's also with Klaus Kinski, and it's, well, something else :)) Bonkers, messy, chaotic but also really atmospheric and moody. Just plain weird all thogether, but I enjoy it immensily.

Oh yes, Vampire in Venice is always a part of any Nosferatu "retrospective" in this house. And yes, it's utter nonsense, but Kinski makes it work somehow, and then there's Venice. Beautiful Venice.
    Grauens

poster-500.jpg

Oh yes, Vampire in Venice is always a part of any Nosferatu "retrospective" in this house. And yes, it's utter nonsense, but Kinski makes it work somehow, and then there's Venice. Beautiful Venice.

Ha good to know! Do you have a physical copy of it? It's very hard to find...
    Grauens

poster-500.jpg

Ha good to know! Do you have a physical copy of it? It's very hard to find...

Alas, I don't. I had to settle for something I could find online.
    Same here. Glad to hear that you also like it for what it is :)

I use plenty of food analogies for my films.

If Nosferatu 22 is a good old-fashioned dish, and Herzog's film an experimental deconstruction using many awesome ingredients, then Vampire In Venice is what happens when the chef tosses some leftovers in a pot, drunk up his ass, and dripping sweet sauce over it to cover up the weird mismatch. But somehow, it all swallows down easily and you feel satisfied if not completely high from a sugar rush.

If Nosferatu 22 is a good old-fashioned dish, and Herzog's film an experimental deconstruction using many awesome ingredients, then Vampire In Venice is what happens when the chef tosses some leftovers in a pot, drunk up his ass, and dripping sweet sauce over it to cover up the weird mismatch. But somehow, it all swallows down easily and you feel satisfied if not completely high from a sugar rush.

Haha great stuff!! Now I know why you appreciated my espresso references when I reviewed the Jaws sequels :))
    edited August 12 Posts: 24,069

Haha great stuff!! Now I know why you appreciated my espresso references when I reviewed the Jaws sequels :))

I always do. Food analogies are the best when trying to explain one's feelings concerning movies. ;-)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

I always do. Food analogies are the best when trying to explain one's feelings concerning movies. ;-)

Horror Of Dracula is like a blackened catfish meal with a fine wine.
    The Night Stalker is like Sicilian pizza with a smooth lager.
    Dracula AD 1972 is like fish & chips and a Coke.
    chrisisall wrote: »

Horror Of Dracula is like a blackened catfish meal with a fine wine.
    The Night Stalker is like Sicilian pizza with a smooth lager.
    Dracula AD 1972 is like fish & chips and a Coke.

I agree with everything here.
  • mattjoesmattjoes has three men to kill
    edited August 13 Posts: 6,998
    The atmosphere in Vampire in Venice is off the charts. Looking forward to watching those Dracula movies from the 60s and 70s.
    GLASS ONION (2022)
    Finally caught up with this 'Knives Out' sequel. I enjoyed the first one, but not enough to watch again, but this follow up is a blast! Real throwback to those Hercules Poirot films of a group of colourful characters gathering in an exotic place and a murder taking place! Director/writer Rian Johnson does a great job keeping things moving along with twists and turns, and it's a lot more lavish and 'out there' than the previous film. And Daniel Craig as our unique Detective, Benoit Blanc, well he's still a hoot, though his voice/mannerisms schtick grated a bit this time! Anyhow, roll on the third one if it's as entertaining as this!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    GLASS ONION (2022)
    Finally caught up with this 'Knives Out' sequel. I enjoyed the first one, but not enough to watch again, but this follow up is a blast! Real throwback to those Hercules Poirot films of a group of colourful characters gathering in an exotic place and a murder taking place! Director/writer Rian Johnson does a great job keeping things moving along with twists and turns, and it's a lot more lavish and 'out there' than the previous film. And Daniel Craig as our unique Detective, Benoit Blanc, well he's still a hoot, though his voice/mannerisms schtick grated a bit this time! Anyhow, roll on the third one if it's as entertaining as this!

I'm glad you like the film, @Mathis1. I like both of them, but GO has such beautiful sets and locations to offer! Craig is a delight.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    GLASS ONION (2022)

I'm glad you like the film, @Mathis1. I like both of them, but GO has such beautiful sets and locations to offer! Craig is a delight.

Both are great! I liked the first better, but the second one rocked hard. Bring on more!! This is Craig at his best IMO.
    edited August 16 Posts: 7,054
    Loved both of them too. Each of them actually fit a different season. The first one is a good autumn film, the second one is better for the summer :p
    Loved both of them too. Each of them actually fit a different season. The first one is a good autumn film, the second one is better for the summer :p

So we're due a Winter one? 😅
    I did like the first one, but I think, as @chrisisall so eloquently put it, it rocked hard!!

I did like the first one, but I think, as @chrisisall so eloquently put it, it rocked hard!!

Sure! A murder mystery in a chalet in a snowy Swiss mountain landscape? Put Benoit Blanc on it! Please also with co-starring roles for Timmy D and Eva Green... Who's in? ;)

Sure! A murder mystery in a chalet in a snowy Swiss mountain landscape? Put Benoit Blanc on it! Please also with co-starring roles for Timmy D and Eva Green... Who's in? ;)

If Eva is there......absolutely!!!❤️
    BELLMAN AND TRUE (1987)
    My younger brother and I buy each dvd/bluray/books on our birthdays. This year he got me this. A little seen thriller, which I recall was screened on T.V. in two parts and then released in cinemas. The late great Bernard Hill is Hiller, an electronics expert who is coerced by a gang to help them in a bank robbery. Hiller has his stepson in tow, whose mother left them, and he becomes an alcoholic, and the film depicts their relationship as he tries to extricate themselves from their dire situation with the vicious villains ( At one point they slash him with a Stanley knife as a punishment for trying to run away!) Director Richard Loncraine keeps the tension going very well, particularly in the robbery itself, ( with a thrilling car sequence!) and right up to the extremely nail biting finale! It comes from 'Handmade Pictures', which made 'The Long Good Friday', and though its not on that standard, it is very watchable! It was a flop on release, and years later Loncraine remade it on American soil, with Harrison Ford in Hills role , and renamed it 'Firewall', I haven't seen that but doubt it's as good as this. A word too, for Colin Towns distinctive score!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Alien: Romulus
    alien--romulus-exclusive-cinemark-poster-840820.png

A very enjoyable, tense, and gross time at the movies. There are a couple of sizeable missteps that make this feel like a potential four star film trapped inside a three star one, but the fact that it is mostly happy to just be a straightforward Alien romp (with highly impressive technical production value) is what makes Alvarez' film work regardless.

Not perfect by any means, but I had a lot of fun.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @CraigMooreOHMSS, I gave it 3/5. I'd say your love, like, or hatred for this one fully depends on your appreciation level of member-berries and a greatest hits-type film, which this one certainly is. It has a couple of very exciting moments on display, some originality in turn, but that one CGI face, iconic lines re-used in such awkward ways (including a "pause for applause" silence), and a finale that feels like a more extended version of Alien: Resurrection? It really wasn't what I was wanting it to be.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    The finale worked very well for me, @Creasy47;
    mainly thanks to how well designed the creature itself was. It was horrifying to look at, as opposed to the Newborn which just looked pretty terrible conceptually.
    It felt like Resurrection, but executed on a level far above that thanks to Alvarez' skill as a horror director.

I do agree, however, that the returning character would have been a nice touch had it not been a major component in the plot. It ended up being overused and what could have elicited a smile ended up being very distracting to me. That was one of the sizeable missteps I was referring to.
    @CraigMooreOHMSS
    I give it credit for looking terrifying with that smile and also for Fede using an actor for some of its performance.

Personally, my biggest highlight wound up being the zero-G bottleneck sequence, with Rain ripping through that pulse rifle and her and Andy then having to float and dodge the traveling acid. That was very inventive, and a fun way to play around with just how deadly even their "blood" is.

As for "Rook," I didn't even think he looked all that bad on the computer screens. They should've found a way to go with that exclusively. Any time he was there in the same room with them, it was pure uncanny valley and took me right out of it.
    Thanks for spoiler-tagging, though I did already read myself elsewhere about the CG thing just because I had to know once that disappointing thing got brought up in so many reviews. I’m working my way through the whole series (not counting AVP), just finished Resurrection, so I’m hoping to take a trip to the theater in a few days for the latest one. The consensus sounds like it’s perhaps the best one since Aliens, yet still far below the first two.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Thanks for spoiler-tagging, though I did already read myself elsewhere about the CG thing just because I had to know once that disappointing thing got brought up in so many reviews. I’m working my way through the whole series (not counting AVP), just finished Resurrection, so I’m hoping to take a trip to the theater in a few days for the latest one. The consensus sounds like it’s perhaps the best one since Aliens, yet still far below the first two.

No problem! I try really hard to adhere to those, and that CG stuff was the only thing that I had spoiled for me in advance because some folks on Letterboxd aren't big on spoiler tags it seems.

Looking forward to your thoughts on it! Even though I didn't love it, it's still without question the third best in the series after the initial two - the official series, that is. I personally have a soft spot for the first AvP and all its ridiculous fun and entertainment. None of them stack up to the perfection of Alien or Aliens, however.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 21 Posts: 24,776
    MV5BZDNjMGE4M2EtZDk1MS00NTQ5LWI2YTktMWU2ZjY2MjU2Yjk0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzc5NjM0NA@@._V1_.jpg
    Alien Resurrection Special Edition, I had a lot of fun with this watch, it is for me the worst of the main films in the series though still has the odd good scene and littered with invention. The acting, directing and script are quite bizarre at times that kept me interested. The 90's was a decent era for science fiction films as they often did not hold back, these types of films always had great ensemble casts.

---

avengers-3.jpg
    The Avengers I have been revisiting the TV show recently which has been a lot of fun, the movie is a bit light weight though 1hr and 20mis of escapism. The actors seems to be having fun with the shenanigans. The film looks pretty good in HD, I had only watched this on VHS or DVD previously I forget which. Sir Sean chews up the scenery as the Bond villain lol.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou, but I now hear a new dog barkin'
    The Avengers I have been revisiting the TV show recently which has been a lot of fun, the movie is a bit light weight though 1hr and 20mis of escapism. The actors seems to be having fun with the shenanigans. The film looks pretty good in HD, I had only watched this on VHS or DVD previously I forget which. Sir Sean chews up the scenery as the Bond villain lol.
    As a big fan for sentimental/nostalgic reasons (The Avengers, starting with the first or at least second Emma Peel season, was the first TV show of this kind that my parents allowed me to watch weekly after nine p.m. ...from 1966 onwards and in German), I still have my problems accepting Thurman and Fiennes as Peel and Steed, but I never thought that the movie was even near as bad as the critics and the hardcore TV Avengers fans said it was. And it was not just Sean who saved it for me (though he certainly helped!). That being said, I haven't watched it again for a long time.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 21 Posts: 24,776
    Sean-Connery-Avengers-Teddy-Bear-Suit-2.jpg
    This scene made me laugh.

@j_w_pepper to be fair the film is pretty consistent with the TV show, the show got really hokey at times.