Batman

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    20767806_1434304079957640_2781118392209951689_n.jpg?oh=7baa95390f4ac24dcefcebf733a66d78&oe=59F2C10E

I saw this collection posted on FB
    Wow that is something to behold!!!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    That's pure fandom right there. Impressive.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I want that Knightmare Batman Cowl
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    What a shame it'd be if that place was robbed by another passionate fan. I've got my eye on that grappling gun. Erm, I mean, that's a cool collection.
    6b4c607a729c22a31495ad2580d4165f6cbff0140d93626263e626d5364dfb09.jpg
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Batman vs Two-Face trailer.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 24,804
    Murdock wrote: »
    Batman vs Two-Face trailer.

Take my money loved Return of the Caped Crusaders and now West and Shatner AWESOME!!!
  • mattjoesmattjoes has three men to kill
    @mattjoes, I see what you mean now, and didn't meant to make it out that you were saying something else.

I would still say that, acting non-lethally, Batman would terrify me way more than a cop. For one, he doesn't follow anyone's rules, so that's already opening him up to a freedom of operation where he can break bones and go that extra length that a Gotham PD cop would be fired for reaching under Gordon's watch. In the same token, Batman has a heavy range of weapons, from batarangs to smoke pellets and the blades on his gloves, in addition to his car that could catch any other one in the city in a chase. So from a criminal perspective he is far and away more resourceful than a cop could ever be, has a diverse background in bone crushing combat, and doesn't have anyone looking over his shoulder telling him when to stop. I think that alone would create a good amount of fear, as he can just get to you better, faster and stronger.

Your point about a myth not being as powerful the more it's known does have a kernel of truth to it, but I think Batman in most media has been able to keep his fearful symbol alive. I've read a lot of comics where Batman actually has to rethink how he acts as a crime fighter when he comes upon civilians he wants to save and they run from him in fear. It's at these times that he learns the power of his symbol and how you can sometimes scare not just your enemies, but also those you are trying to protect. For Batman fear is a double-edge sword, a great tool for criminals, but something he must yield with responsibility because the innocent public are just as susceptible to viewing him as a monster. And in a way that's another reason why him killing wouldn't be advisable, because his public would turn on him and many would despise him for acting that way.

You bring up Nolan, and I think even in his films Batman is able to retain that symbol of fear, as we can still see even in The Dark Knight as the goons at the beginning shutter at the noise of him when he arrives. Despite him being more known, that has only made his legend larger. Instead of just being a story people hear told, Batman has all the mythic quality of a monster that is also supported by the fact that he's real, and I think that makes him more powerful. I think The Dark Knight Rises is where this idea of fear could maybe be challenged, because in that movie Batman must symbolically do the unthinkable to beat Bane and come out of the shadows into the light. In that sense the movie depicts the idea or symbol of Batman as one of justice, who will go to any lengths to do what is right for society. The third film doesn't focus much on his power as a tool for fear, and instead shows him coming out of the gutter one last time to help the city he loves as a brighter and more overt symbol. It's quite powerful to finally see Batman on the streets fighting with the cops of the city he could only be partners with from the shadows in the previous films, showing that his symbol has become something more, and that he has been embraced by everyone as a protector. When a statue is made of him in memory of his sacrifice, it is a visual symbol of him becoming more than a tool of fear because he is viewed as a source of justice for the good of society. I imagine that even some criminals gained respect for Batman that day, for taking a bomb and risking his own life to save everyone, no matter their background or history.

So really I think Rises and its story simply shows us all that Batman can be. In Begins he was new on the scene as was all the more powerful and fearsome because the criminals didn't know what to expect, making him something to be scared of. Despite saving the city, the public still didn't know much about him or how he operated, so they weren't as responsive to him. In The Dark Knight Batman is still very much fearsome despite him being more well known to the public, but he also hasn't been fully accepted and some view him as the wrong answer to crime, because they are scared of him or of what threats he brings (like Joker). It's only in Rises where the public finally understand and support Batman for something more than his fear tactics, seeing why he fights so hard. He is rallied behind in the daylight on the streets by people who know he's more than a fear symbol, but one of justice and protection too, seeing all his aspects. So in a way I think Rises doesn't show the limit of Batman's ability to cause fear, but instead shows him being accepted and supported as a righteous figure of good in the eyes of those he's been going out on a limb for the entire time. It's less about the criminals being less fearful, but the public being more aware of him.

I hope that makes sense. I also didn't mean to go off on such a long post yesterday. I got passionate about the subject and what I was inspired by during my university criminal justice courses came out. ;) I just think it's great that discussions of Batman can lead so organically into discussions of morality, as the comics are very much grounded in real philosophy in those areas. Cheers.

Nothing to add to that. Seems like an accurate analysis to me. ;)
    edited August 2017 Posts: 24,804
    http://screenrant.com/batman-mask-of-the-phantasm-animated-movie-facts-trivia/

Article from earlier in the year though one of my favourite Batman movies, some interesting facts...

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, interesting article. I knew most of it already, having heard Paul Dini talk about the film with Kevin Smith, but it was nevertheless great fun to read so many good things about one of my favourite Batman films ever. Thank you, sir.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, interesting article. I knew most of it already, having heard Paul Dini talk about the film with Kevin Smith, but it was nevertheless great fun to read so many good things about one of my favourite Batman films ever. Thank you, sir.

Thankyou I knew a few things myself, I must revisit the Andrea Beaumamt continued story's in the animated series.
    Casey Affleck says Ben won't star in 'The Batman,' then says he "made it up" once the hosts say it's new information. Take that how you will:

http://screenrant.com/ben-affleck-leaving-batman-casey-affleck-comments/
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    It would be good to know if he's going to continue being Batman or not. First Affleck says he will remain Batman but everyone else says he's thinking about dropping out. Now his own brother says he's not doing it after Justice League. This is the biggest tease in Batman history and it's pissing me off.
    It would be good to know if he's going to continue being Batman or not. First Affleck says he will remain Batman but everyone else says he's thinking about dropping out. Now his own brother says he's not doing it after Justice League. This is the biggest tease in Batman history and it's pissing me off.

It could be that he initially decided doing 'The Batman' wasn't a good idea for him, but now he may want to see how JL is received before the decision. Then again, I've no clue when 'The Batman' will even shoot. Surely with a director and script in the works they would have an actor 100% confirmed by now, but who knows. It is odd so many reports have come out mentioning him not doing the film.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

@QsAssistant, come on now. Has the situation with Dan taught you nothing? What Ben feels and what all these fools say he feels aren't equal, and you should only listen to the former because outside reports are inherently false and subjective. The man came out at comic-con talking about how excited he was to continue in the role, and he will if given the chance. Nothing more needs to be said, really. No need to be pissed off at a man whose fault it isn't, the same way people got pissed at Dan for screwing around and teasing with EON, when he never said he was leaving in the first place and was waiting with them for all the ducks to fall in line to make the announcement. People target the most innocent of the lot, and it makes no sense.

Blaming Ben for the garbage his drunk relative or the tabloids say is like siding with the rags when they say Dan is done as Bond immediately and that his successor is (fill in the blank with predictable actors). It's all click-bait, and as we can see from the Bond example, doesn't have a shred of credibility or truth.
    Martin Scorsese to produce 'gritty and grounded' Joker origin story .

The Batman universe is set to expand once more with a new film from Warner Bros and DC with Martin Scorsese on board to produce, according to a report in the Hollywood online news site, Deadline.

The film – an origin story of the character, which won’t be attached to any other iteration – will be directed by The Hangover’s Todd Phillips, who will co-write the film with Scott Silver (8 Mile, The Fighter).

While Jared Leto is currently playing the character in the DC expanded universe, including in the forthcoming Suicide Squad sequel and Gotham City Sirens, the new film, according to Deadline’s Mike Fleming Jr, “will launch the character with a different actor, possibly younger”.

“The intention is to make a gritty and grounded hard-boiled crime film set in early-80s Gotham City that isn’t meant to feel like a DC movie as much as one of Scorsese’s films from that era, like Taxi Driver, Raging Bull or The King Of Comedy,” he writes.

This will be the first film under a new WB banner that expands DC properties with new storylines and different actors – and while the script is already in the works, there are no signs yet as to where the film will fit in the DC schedule.

Whichever actor they pick has big shoes to fill, following iconic performances from Jack Nicholson in 1989’s Batman and Heath Ledger in 2008’s The Dark Knight, which was released after his death in January that year.

Martin Scorsese on board to produce a 1980's Gotham City crime film based on the origins of the Joker? You have my attention... #TheJoker
    — Jesabel (@JesabelRaay) 22 August 2017

Okay I'm hopeful for the Joker movie. If they are casting a new joker and Scorsese is suppose to produce then all is not lost.
    — Nicole Huggins (@nikki_huggins93) 22 August 2017

DiCaprio must be playing the joker? DiNero is his father? Where does Joe Pesci fit in?
    — J Gerry (@IslandKing63) 22 August 2017
    Honestly I don't like the idea of a Joker origins story. I like knowing very little of his past. Batman 89' showed too much of his past and that wasn't even a movie focused on just the Joker.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Two live-action Jokers existing at the same time is not a good move on Warner Bros. part, no matter what people think of Leto's version.

While it's neat that someone like Scorcese is producing, it seems like a pointless venture considering it's not part of the DC movie continuity and we just had The Killing Joke last year.
  • I think that sounds cool. Scorcese being on board is a huge coup and Todd Phillips has made a few good films. I think it's a cool sounding idea too. The main series is still there for the people who want it but they can also do interesting one off films to try and reach different audiences. If people can accept multiple cinematic Bonds (NSNA/OP) existing at the same time then why not Batman.
    I think that sounds cool. Scorcese being on board is a huge coup and Todd Phillips has made a few good films. I think it's a cool sounding idea too. The main series is still there for the people who want it but they can also do interesting one off films to try and reach different audiences. If people can accept multiple cinematic Bonds (NSNA/OP) existing at the same time then why not Batman.

I think that might be a bit different. General audiences might not realize Never Say Never Again was another Bond film. It could just be another spy movie. However with Joker it could get confusing. When anyone looks at the Joker you instantly know who he is. His look is iconic. Plus, if this new Joker is more liked than Leto's Joker that could hurt the DCEU a bit.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I am positive. We don t need Leto back as Joker anyway.
    I am positive. We don t need Leto back as Joker anyway.

Once was enough for me. I like him as an actor, but that was one horrid take on the character. It may align with the comics, I have no clue, but some thuggish, strip club owning Joker with tattoos all over his body doesn't do it for me.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Same here. He looks fabulous in Blade Runner 2049, though.
    Same here. He looks fabulous in Blade Runner 2049, though.

That he does. Loved him in 'Dallas Buyers Club,' too.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Speaking of Batman...

BRG1sl4.jpg
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited August 2017 Posts: 9,020
    @chrisisall

I want West Batsy in an episode of BG 1978.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Hahah, you silly.
    'The Batman' is not part of the DC Extended Universe:

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-batman-not-part-of-the-dc-extended-universe/
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @BondJasonBond006

Can you please stop with the "Dalton Rulez" stuff at the end of every post you make? It's a really annoying way to draw attention for no reason.