Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

I see TLD is mentioned a lot here and I agree, the movie would be a good template for the next movie and to start the next era. It basically had everything: A solid (relatively grounded) story, lots of action and well done stunts, thrill, humor, a solid Bond car including some decent gadgets, and some interesting locations. TLD may not be one of my top 5 Bond movies, but it does have a well-done mix of the Bond ingredients.
    So in theory, it certainly would be possible to start the next era with a well-balanced movie who does handle all elements, including both thrill and "fun", well.
    I don't think any actor is suited to this "lighter Bond". Or it would've happened. And a 'Nightmare In Chelsea' sound ridiculous. We'll get what we're given.
    Kojak007 wrote: »
    I see TLD is mentioned a lot here and I agree, the movie would be a good template for the next movie and to start the next era. It basically had everything: A solid (relatively grounded) story, lots of action and well done stunts, thrill, humor, a solid Bond car including some decent gadgets, and some interesting locations. TLD may not be one of my top 5 Bond movies, but it does have a well-done mix of the Bond ingredients.
    So in theory, it certainly would be possible to start the next era with a well-balanced movie who does handle all elements, including both thrill and "fun", well.

You could argue that both GE and CR also follow this similar template. What do they all have in common? They are the films that launched new actors in the role.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I'm interested in seeing more military (army, not navy) and communist-style countries in the mix, and if EON are hesitant about portraying say, Russia, China, North Korea etc., then invent a fictional country like they did in Octopussy's PTS. No, wait- actually, have that exact same Latin American country with its blue flag and orange star return. Sorted.

You could argue that both GE and CR also follow this similar template. What do they all have in common? They are the films that launched new actors in the role.

Well, GE has a little more fantasy than TLD or CR. They are not the same type of movie.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom

I think they're very similar tonally too. A Eurothriller feel, ostensibly serious but quite a lot of silliness hiding under the surface, good action romps. I wouldn't mind the next Bond taking those as a tonal template.
    If they choose a prestigious director, the next frontier may be adapting Fleming. Nothing more, nothing less.
    If they choose a prestigious director, the next frontier may be adapting Fleming. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm all in if that's the case.

And when you say `prestigious director'? Are you meaning a director whose name sounds a bit like Bliss Bolan, or Miss Token, or Kiss Frozen? ;)
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited June 9 Posts: 6,155
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Even the loop whistle in TMWTGG or not knowing why the bald man wants to beat up Bond in Beirut aren't too big a deal for mist Bond fans.

Humiliated tailor?

Moore was so good at what he did by OP, I forgive all the crazier elements (the Tarzan yell, the "Sit!", the alligator submarine...

And "No, ma'am, I'm with the economy tour" is genuinely funny. (And improvised?)

Plenty. Take your pick - game of cards at Blades with M to catch out a potential cheating villain, Viv Michel about to be raped by 2 gangsters in a motel only to be rescued by the new Bond (great PTS potential for the new actor), 2 gangsters kicking Bond half to death in a `Brooklyn stomping' football boot torture, the mud bath scene in DAF, Bond undercover as Mark Hazard to get close to his man, the end train scene battle in TMWTGG, the end train scene in DAF, the horse race scene in DAF, Bond watching in the woods as a bush opens to reveal the biker killers in FAVTAK, etc. etc.

I don't find that I need to see any of those scenes onscreen, except of course, cards at Blades. They were left out of their respective films for a reason.

TMWTGG is IMHO a very weak novel--do I need to see a train full of dead gangsters? No. But a train crash climax in an unusual setting (swamps, deserts) is interesting. I do find the final confrontation between Bond and Scaramanga possibly filmworthy, although they kind of did it in LTK, with trucks instead of trains.

I don't know if someone on this site has done a side-by-side comparison of the TMWTGG novel and LTK but I think there is quite a bit there.

Perfect film? GF. Without GF, no one us would be here discussing Bond. It would have remained a niche audience.

Perfect Bond film? GF, OHMSS (influential despite Lazenby--there's no Bourne or Taken without it), TSWLM, CR.
  • edited June 9 Posts: 1,132
    echo wrote: »
    Even the loop whistle in TMWTGG or not knowing why the bald man wants to beat up Bond in Beirut aren't too big a deal for mist Bond fans.

Humiliated tailor?

Moore was so good at what he did by OP, I forgive all the crazier elements (the Tarzan yell, the "Sit!", the alligator submarine...

And "No, ma'am, I'm with the economy tour" is genuinely funny. (And improvised?)

Plenty. Take your pick - game of cards at Blades with M to catch out a potential cheating villain, Viv Michel about to be raped by 2 gangsters in a motel only to be rescued by the new Bond (great PTS potential for the new actor), 2 gangsters kicking Bond half to death in a `Brooklyn stomping' football boot torture, the mud bath scene in DAF, Bond undercover as Mark Hazard to get close to his man, the end train scene battle in TMWTGG, the end train scene in DAF, the horse race scene in DAF, Bond watching in the woods as a bush opens to reveal the biker killers in FAVTAK, etc. etc.

I don't find that I need to see any of those scenes onscreen, except of course, cards at Blades. They were left out of their respective films for a reason.

TMWTGG is IMHO a very weak novel--do I need to see a train full of dead gangsters? No. But a train crash climax in an unusual setting (swamps, deserts) is interesting. I do find the final confrontation between Bond and Scaramanga possibly filmworthy, although they kind of did it in LTK, with trucks instead of trains.

I don't know if someone on this site has done a side-by-side comparison of the TMWTGG novel and LTK but I think there is quite a bit there.

Perfect film? GF. Without GF, no one us would be here discussing Bond. It would have remained a niche audience.

Perfect Bond film? GF, OHMSS (influential despite Lazenby--there's no Bourne or Taken without it), TSWLM, CR.

FRWL! That was the influential movie.

Humiliated tailor?

The crest was building with FRWL the movie, but the wave peaked with GF. You can replace FRWL in the sequence with many other of the Bond stories (CR, LALD, MR, TB) and still get to GF, but GF is the critical linchpin in Bondmania.

Now, FRWL the novel was the game-changer, at least in terms of gaining a worldwide audience. It was a big, big deal that JFK (or JFK's handlers) named FRWL.
  • edited June 9 Posts: 1,132

Humiliated tailor?

The crest was building with FRWL the movie, but the wave peaked with GF. You can replace FRWL in the sequence with many other of the Bond stories (CR, LALD, MR, TB) and still get to GF, but GF is the critical linchpin in Bondmania.

Now, FRWL the novel was the game-changer, at least in terms of gaining a worldwide audience. It was a big, big deal that JFK (or JFK's handlers) named FRWL.

I mean instead of OHMSS.

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I love this video and the attitude this Bond fan is bringing. I find it totally refreshing to listen to and wish more of fandom adopts it.

• meshypushymeshypushy Ireland
    I love this video and the attitude this Bond fan is bringing. I find it totally refreshing to listen to and wish more of fandom adopts it.

He strikes me as a guy who spends most of his time trying to kiss ass with brands, in return for free stuff, whilst being extremely careful about putting his real thoughts out there, trying to strike the balance of not biting the hand that feeds. It was pretty clear he wasn’t a fan of NTTD around the time of its release but he smiled, threw out a few pleasantries, showed up for the free brand events and then when the marketing blitz for the NTTD release ended (and associated freebies for him and his ilk had dried up), he speaks a little more freely on his thoughts on the movie.

He has zero credibility in my view - either speak freely or take the money from the brands but don’t try fooling and patronising your audience. He’s a good example of why I prefer professional critics and journalists over ‘influencers’.

Humiliated tailor?

I mean instead of OHMSS.

GF is the gold standard. And yet...YOLT and OHMSS now seem more influential, more foundational, to the Bond series as it has progressed than FRWL, TB, and arguably DN. Funny, that.

I do think it all goes back to Fleming, who became a stronger writer as death approached.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    meshypushy wrote: »

He strikes me as a guy who spends most of his time trying to kiss ass with brands, in return for free stuff, whilst being extremely careful about putting his real thoughts out there, trying to strike the balance of not biting the hand that feeds. It was pretty clear he wasn’t a fan of NTTD around the time of its release but he smiled, threw out a few pleasantries, showed up for the free brand events and then when the marketing blitz for the NTTD release ended (and associated freebies for him and his ilk had dried up), he speaks a little more freely on his thoughts on the movie.

He has zero credibility in my view - either speak freely or take the money from the brands but don’t try fooling and patronising your audience. He’s a good example of why I prefer professional critics and journalists over ‘influencers’.

Gee, you’re a ray of sunshine.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    As much as I love Connery, to me Daniel Craig is the quintessential Bond. We can't go back to jokey Bond now.

Back when Peirce was in the role people thought bond would always be tall, slim, suave, charming, traditional handsome etc. If you said in the late 90's the next Bond won't have a moneypenny, Q, gadgets, etc. People would have said "that won't work, this is what Bond is, we can't go backwards." The trouble is we don't even know "jokey bond" would look like in a modern context, just like we didn't know what a harder edged bond could be until we saw CR and were won over.

Humiliated tailor?

I mean instead of OHMSS.

GF is the gold standard. And yet...YOLT and OHMSS now seem more influential, more foundational, to the Bond series as it has progressed than FRWL, TB, and arguably DN. Funny, that.

I do think it all goes back to Fleming, who became a stronger writer as death approached.

If you mean Craig yes, OHMSS is more influential.

But Craig era is over.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited June 10 Posts: 14,448
    Vip1.jpgOfficer1.jpg
    600px-Octopussy_Soldiers_Surrounding_MGC_M16.jpg

Seriously, bring back these guys. Flesh their fictional country out a bit like EON did later with The Republic of Isthmus. They don't have to be the main enemy of the film, but Bond can spend half an hour or so there later on. The country's name is finally revealed.

53781354541_91f3fecc8a_s.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Starland! A communist dictatorship with a nice line in semi detacheds.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside

I love David's enthusiasm, I was grateful for his positivity during the wait for NTTD
  • meshypushymeshypushy Ireland
    meshypushy wrote: »

Gee, you’re a ray of sunshine.
    I’m just calling out what I see - I’m glad others enjoy his output but it’s not for me. Critique is not an indication of a lack of sunny disposition.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited June 10 Posts: 3,102
    For myself, I hope lighthearted 'fun' and 'jokey' Bond is left in the past. NTTD was already a step too far in that direction for me - Obruchev, Cuba, soup gags. Nah. I suspect that EON will have taken note of how much most people loved Cuba, though, and may well emphasise that aspect next time out.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Jordo007 wrote: »

I love David's enthusiasm, I was grateful for his positivity during the wait for NTTD

Yes, he seems a really sweet guy and I like that he's a fan who actually enjoys the thing he's a fan of!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    mtm wrote: »
    Jordo007 wrote: »

Yes, he seems a really sweet guy and I like that he's a fan who actually enjoys the thing he's a fan of!

Also a big fan of David; his passion for Bond is sincere and he has the skills, personality ,and resources to present endless aspects of the franchise and character.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Venutius wrote: »
    For myself, I hope lighthearted 'fun' and 'jokey' Bond is left in the past. NTTD was already a step too far in that direction for me - Obruchev, Cuba, soup gags. Nah. I suspect that EON will have taken note of how much most people loved Cuba, though, and may well emphasise that aspect next time out.

But that was light and breezy.
  • edited June 10 Posts: 3,744
    I think in the next era we'll continue to see tonal variances. Even the lighthearted atmosphere of the Cuba sequence is preceded by one of the most horrifying moments in Bond history (and as I said in another thread I think the build up to the fight/chase is actually a lot more impactful). NTTD as a whole has similar shades of dark and light, as do some really great Bond films (ie. TSWLM has some really quite scary scenes with Jaws killing his victims, and 009's death in OP was always quite unsettling to watch when I was younger).

My only hope is that they get a bit more of a balance for some of these more pivotal action scenes. We still need to feel like Bond is in danger even if the scenario is quite absurd.
    I feel like that Spectre death sequence needed a bit more buildup...like Bond interacting with one of the Spectre agents, making us feel that loss a bit more, and then being confused as to why he too was not dying.
    I always thought it was a bit strange that all the Spectre members didn't automatically recognise Bond. He was the man that put their leader in the clink, after all.
    But it was a good scene I thought. Blofeld's eye on the pillow, and his ramblings were nice and spooky. NTTD had some classy moments, pre-slinky.
    I always thought it was a bit strange that all the Spectre members didn't automatically recognise Bond. He was the man that put their leader in the clink, after all.
    But it was a good scene I thought. Blofeld's eye on the pillow, and his ramblings were nice and spooky. NTTD had some classy moments, pre-slinky.

I guess they do recognise him, but the plan was to lure him there... if anything I suppose it's poorly thought through on Bond's part.