Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    edited June 10 Posts: 869
    Jack Reynor is someone who hasn't been mentioned yet. I know him mainly from the tv show The Peripheral where he plays a former American Special Forces soldier, brother to Chloe Grace Moretz' gamer-turned-time-traveller, though I do remember him from Midsommar, too. He's not your obvious Bond type, but he's a decent actor and was apparently one of the actors in consideration for Batman. American born, Irish-raised, I'm assuming he can do an English accent as most Irish actors can. He wouldn't be my first choice but I do think he'll get an audition.
    368siaX.jpg
  • meshypushymeshypushy Ireland
    Jack Reynor is someone who hasn't been mentioned yet. I know him mainly from the tv show The Peripheral where he plays a former American Special Forces soldier, brother to Chloe Grace Moretz' gamer-turned-time-traveller, though I do remember him from Midsommar, too. He's not your obvious Bond type, but he's a decent actor and was apparently one of the actors in consideration for Batman. American born, Irish-raised, I'm assuming he can do an English accent as most Irish actors can. He wouldn't be my first choice but I do think he'll get an audition.
    368siaX.jpg
    He has just been cast in the next season of Citadel, so that should be a good chance for him to demonstrate his chops.
    meshypushy wrote: »
    368siaX.jpg
    He has just been cast in the next season of Citadel, so that should be a good chance for him to demonstrate his chops.

Oh, the poor bastard. His career may never recover. :))
    368siaX.jpg

Oh, the poor bastard. His career may never recover. :))
    Here was me hoping he’d have a positive impact on the show, rather than the other way around!
    Don't get me wrong, I think he's good. I just don't think it will be enough to make Citadel work.

One thing Reynor has going for him as a potential Bond is his stare, which is very intense. It would work well for Bond.
    I have no idea how Citadel could be fixed, without going back to a blank sheet of paper. It certainly killed any idea of Madden as Bond for me.
    I must check out some of Reynor’s work - I’ve only seen him in Macbeth and am mainly aware of him from media coverage here.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Don't get me wrong, I think he's good. I just don't think it will be enough to make Citadel work.

One thing Reynor has going for him as a potential Bond is his stare, which is very intense. It would work well for Bond.

This is a perfect example of things being subjective; I see his eyes as looking like a deer in the headlights. Lol.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 10 Posts: 16,000
    There's another series of Citadel?!

I just looked at its page on Wikipedia. It's quite funny: there are synopses for all of the episodes, apart from the last two where it looks like even the people writing the wiki page lost interest in the show.
    mtm wrote: »

I just looked at its page on Wikipedia. It's quite funny: there are synopses for all of the episodes, apart from the last two where it looks like even the people writing the wiki page lost interest in the show.

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/citadel-season-2-cast-jack-reynor-1236017951/

It’s quite surprising that they’re bringing all the leads back (or that they agreed to return). I gave up halfway through - I’ll see what the reception is to season 2 before going back and considering catching up. If anyone has waited for Farrow and Ball paint to dry, you will be familiar with my experience of attempting to get through Citadel season 1.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 10 Posts: 16,000
    I think I may have made it to the end of ep2 and then realised life is too short for this kind of dreck. And I like superspies!
    Ditch the main cast, move Stanley Tucci up to the lead, do less action and CG nonsense, then we can talk.
    Tucci is completely wasted in it but I guess it’s giving him a break from doing cookery shows and flogging saucepans these days!
  • edited June 13 Posts: 324
    A new name mentioned... Leo Woodwall.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2024/06/13/handsome-star-now-tipped-new-james-bond-huge-netflix-success-21029082/amp/

fd68b1621936-leo-woodall-jacket.jpg

Not really seeing Bond in his looks, he reminds me of singer Olly Murs, quite a strong similarity, but if he has acting potential to be a secret agent, who knows. May be worth a screentest. He's probably just an actor in a popular Netflix show so he's got some attention. Fair enough, good luck to him but that doesn't automatically mean you're right for Bond.

Ideally a fairly unknown actor with tv experience and a decent to good look, masculine face etc, would be the guy to consider.

It’s quite surprising that they’re bringing all the leads back (or that they agreed to return). I gave up halfway through - I’ll see what the reception is to season 2 before going back and considering catching up. If anyone has waited for Farrow and Ball paint to dry, you will be familiar with my experience of attempting to get through Citadel season 1.

I recall reading a tv critics review of Citadel and the critic saying it was the best evidence why Richard Madden shouldn't play Bond. It was a very harsh review but I'm guessing the show hasn't enhanced Madden's chances.
    GQ Magazine
    If Citadel is Richard Madden's Bond audition, he's not getting the job

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/citadel-richard-madden-james-bond

As I do with any actor whose work I’m not familiar with, I watch a couple of interviews; I can say that anything about him suggests that he’s right for Bond.
    talos7 wrote: »
    As I do with any actor whose work I’m not familiar with, I watch a couple of interviews; I can say that anything about him suggests that he’s right for Bond.

I've found some dull actors really engaging in interviews, and vice versa. However I agree that Madden isn't the right guy to play Bond.
  • edited June 14 Posts: 3,744
    Not seen Citadel (not that it sounds worth seeing from some of the comments here!) but I think Madden’s problem is he doesn’t quite have that ruthless likeable b*stard quality that Bond needs. Even in Bodyguard that was never his thing.

Don’t have enough to say much about Woodall but my instinct is no. Completely unrelated, but just because he’s in that interview I’m surprised Galitzine hasn’t had some Bond rumours attached to him (by the way I think he’s completely wrong for the part, and I’m actually not a big fan of him as an actor, but he’s very much up and coming and it’s the sort of rumour I can imagine him being attached to).
    bondywondy wrote: »
    A new name mentioned... Leo Woodwall.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2024/06/13/handsome-star-now-tipped-new-james-bond-huge-netflix-success-21029082/amp/

fd68b1621936-leo-woodall-jacket.jpg

Not really seeing Bond in his looks, he reminds me of singer Olly Murs, quite a strong similarity, but if he has acting potential to be a secret agent, who knows. May be worth a screentest. He's probably just an actor in a popular Netflix show so he's got some attention. Fair enough, good luck to him but that doesn't automatically mean you're right for Bond.

Ideally a fairly unknown actor with tv experience and a decent to good look, masculine face etc, would be the guy to consider.

I recall reading a tv critics review of Citadel and the critic saying it was the best evidence why Richard Madden shouldn't play Bond. It was a very harsh review but I'm guessing the show hasn't enhanced Madden's chances.
    GQ Magazine
    If Citadel is Richard Madden's Bond audition, he's not getting the job

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/citadel-richard-madden-james-bond

That article is based on a quote from a bookie. As someone who previously spent quite a while in that industry, the Bond betting market is (1) non existent and (2) largely fabricated to gain free publicity for the bookmaker. It suits them (and the tabloids) to put a new face on the list and spout some nonsense about the amount of money being staked on x candidate. It’s pure and utter nonsense. Even the pricing is meaningless - the market only exists to generate publicity (like reality tv betting). Any article that is based on a quote from a bookie regarding Bond is BS.
    Woodall was decent in The White Lotus but he has no CV. It’s a long way from where he is to carrying a major franchise. Saying that, I do recall a friend of mine noting that he would be one to keep an eye on in the future regarding Bond, so I guess some folk see Bondian potential in him. Maybe if EON continue to fanny around for the next 10 years, he could have demonstrated the chops for the role!
    Madden has no hope of getting Bond after Citadel. It’s awful and he is awful in it. He appears to struggle with the accent and completely lacks charisma in the role. I have never seen him in anything and thought he would be appropriate for Bond. I find him quite wooden. After ATJ, Madden would be one of those I would not be on board with as Bond.

I've found some dull actors really engaging in interviews, and vice versa. However I agree that Madden isn't the right guy to play Bond.

My mistake, I should have been more clear; I was talking about Leo Woodwall. Although, I do feel the same about Madden.
    Madden had no chances at the time he accepted that role. It doesn't matter if he did a good job or not.

My mistake, I should have been more clear; I was talking about Leo Woodwall. Although, I do feel the same about Madden.

I've only seen Woodall in the White Lotus where he played a chavvy rentboy, he definitely didn't give off potential Bond vibes there. Again, he just seems wrong to me.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm currently with you, @sandbagger1. I don't see it... just yet. But I've been proven wrong before. For exactly 14.36 seconds, I thought Craig wasn't Bond material. And then I decided to be patient. And guess what: he had little trouble convincing me. So I've learned to be careful. (That said, if someone suggested Justin Bieber or Steven Seagal for Bond, I'd start a war. (Perhaps not over Seagal, but definitely over Bieber...))
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I'm currently with you, @sandbagger1. I don't see it... just yet. But I've been proven wrong before. For exactly 14.36 seconds, I thought Craig wasn't Bond material. And then I decided to be patient. And guess what: he had little trouble convincing me. So I've learned to be careful. (That said, if someone suggested Justin Bieber or Steven Seagal for Bond, I'd start a war. (Perhaps not over Seagal, but definitely over Bieber...))

You've singled out the obvious, new angle this franchise desperately needs: A ponytailed Bond played by Seagal. How haven't we recognized the genius of this idea before??
    Creasy47 wrote: »

You've singled out the obvious, new angle this franchise desperately needs: A ponytailed Bond played by Seagal. How haven't we recognized the genius of this idea before??

Hey, my dark, dark horse has been Harry Styles Lol.

lVOzgAg.jpg

1FAaer6.jpg
  • Informe_James_BondInforme_James_Bond Dominican Republic
    I don't know where I read it, but it said that Harry Style would be the Bond for Christopher Nolan.

Yes it's true. My initial reaction to Craig being announced as Bond was that I liked him as an actor, but that he wasn't my idea of Bond. The more I thought about it, however, the more I warmed to it. Whoever they pick I'll give him a shot, we know they won't pick someone without merit.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Hey, my dark, dark horse has been Harry Styles Lol.

lVOzgAg.jpg

1FAaer6.jpg

More like a dark pony.
    Style’s acting is pretty limited honestly, and I think it’s something he’s struggled with in the last two films he’s starred in.
    368siaX.jpg
    368siaX.jpg

He has a tom hardy vibe based on the picture which consisering Hardy was on my list since 2010 i am obviously fine with Hardy lite
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Anyone else noticed that the next James Bond talk has slowed down significantly over the last few months in the press?

Calm before the storm or are they clinging to the notion that ATJ is the next Bond and they're waiting for his official announcement?
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    Anyone else noticed that the next James Bond talk has slowed down significantly over the last few months in the press?

Calm before the storm or are they clinging to the notion that ATJ is the next Bond and they're waiting for his official announcement?

Think even the press have lost interest in the idea of ATJ as Bond! We’ll see though. There’s always time for another round of rumours. Perhaps it’ll coincide with Kraven’s release…
  • Informe_James_BondInforme_James_Bond Dominican Republic
    Calm before the storm. We may have official news from EON soon.

If you all check back in time, the first official news of the last two films was the release date and both published were exactly two years before and it was in July. That's how it was done for Bond 24 before confirming Sam Mendes' return; on July 11th 2013 they posted “Bond 24 out UK 23rd Oct/US 6th Nov 2015”. For Bond 25 before announcing Danny Boyle as the director, on July 24th 2017 they posted “James Bond will return to cinemas on november 8, 2019”. Both date announcements were exactly in July, two years before and both before the director.

So, if the schedule is to release Bond 26 in 2026, that first news with the release date should be posted this July of this year. And then we will find out who will be the director and then who will be the actor.

PD: I still don't think ATJ will be the next James Bond. They're going to surprise us with a low profile actor.