Which composer should score the soundtrack for BOND 26?

Comments

• Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Arnold back would be a dream come true
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    Arnold back would be a dream come true

I'd open another bottle of champagne. Already committed to one if Villeneuve takes the directorial chair.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Arnold back would, in fact, be a smart move, I think. In light of so many changes we're about to settle for -- new actor, new Bond (in a way), new director (most likely) -- it wouldn't hurt to bring a familiar face (or sound) back to the series. Arnold really could help the new guy in many ways through his music. New wine, served in the same old glasses? Even a hint of familiarity would soften the transition into a brand-new Bond era.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Arnold back would, in fact, be a smart move, I think. In light of so many changes we're about to settle for -- new actor, new Bond (in a way), new director (most likely) -- it wouldn't hurt to bring a familiar face (or sound) back to the series. Arnold really could help the new guy in many ways through his music. New wine, served in the same old glasses? Even a hint of familiarity would soften the transition into a brand-new Bond era.

Oh, absolutely. Specially when he kept such a good and prolific relationship with the franchise and the producers. Would be a smart move, indeed, to bring him back.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited March 26 Posts: 8,148
    Univex wrote: »

Oh, absolutely. Specially when he kept such a good and prolific relationship with the franchise and the producers. Would be a smart move, indeed, to bring him back.

Better then having one of the actors return .
  • edited March 26 Posts: 6,702
    talos7 wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »

Better then having one of the actors return .

Oh, yes, I'd want none of them back. They're the Craig team. I say bring new blood to the cast. I was watching "The three body problem" just the other day and thought that Liam Cunnigham would be a great M, for example. And Benedict Wong could make for a very interesting Major Boothroyd.

But the sound, well the sound can harken back all they want. Besides, Arnold has been Brosnan and Craig's composer. His CR and QOS soundtracks are terrific. And the N. Peal ad shows that he still has plenty to offer in the melodic creative field.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    That “ thang” should be “ then” Lol
    talos7 wrote: »
    That “ thang” should be “ then” Lol

I've just fixed it in the quote as well ;) I read it as you intended my friend, and not as the non-standard spelling of thing representing Southern US pronunciation, typically used to denote a feeling or tendency ;)
    The moment I saw DN in 1962, one of the things that stood out was the Bond theme. Barry wouldn't create the full Bond sound until FRWL, but the Bond theme announced this was no ordinary film. No matter what may have been lifted from other films, this was a new experience for me. The gun barrel opening, the music, the hero, the sets, the tone, the style all felt new to me in '62. All combined for a unique film experience. Sixty-two years later not much remains. A lot has changed with the times. But the music and the opening can provide that link to the past. And Arnold is the man to do it. He's not Barry, but he understands what Barry brought to Bond. Bond 26 doesn't need callbacks to be a good Bond film, but a Barryesque score by Arnold would be a nice way to retain some of that original Bond magic.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    CrabKey wrote: »
    The moment I saw DN in 1962, one of the things that stood out was the Bond theme. Barry wouldn't create the full Bond sound until FRWL, but the Bond theme announced this was no ordinary film. No matter what may have been lifted from other films, this was a new experience for me. The gun barrel opening, the music, the hero, the sets, the tone, the style all felt new to me in '62. All combined for a unique film experience. Sixty-two years later not much remains. A lot has changed with the times. But the music and the opening can provide that link to the past. And Arnold is the man to do it. He's not Barry, but he understands what Barry brought to Bond. Bond 26 doesn't need callbacks to be a good Bond film, but a Barryesque score by Arnold would be a nice way to retain some of that original Bond magic.

I’m not sure he would want to. Although he’s obviously still fond of Bond, he hasn’t been taking big movie jobs, and I’m sure I saw him say recently that it wasn’t because he wasn’t being asked.
    For me he had his stint and it was fun, but I’d like to see what others can bring.
    His latest fullfeature movie was that Fletch movie from 2022, and he is also involved in the 007:Road to a Million show. So he's not totally out of the game. Given the proper motivation....
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited April 13 Posts: 4,491
    Isobel Waller-Bridge

• Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    edited May 1 Posts: 573

I may be a bit late to this party but I think Raye would be the perfect title artist for the next Bond film. The orchestration on this concert at the Royal Albert Hall last Fall is some Bondian. I hope Barbara and Micheal were in the audience.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    I watched Bullet Train recently and I really liked how cohesive, experimental and fun the score by Dominic Lewis was. It reminded me a bit of Ennio Morricone - it plays like a contemporary Asian western with a dash of spy flair. I particular like the ending track (the last couple of minutes feel particularly Bondian to me and I love that tempo ramp).
  • mattjoesmattjoes has three men to kill
    They should get David Holmes at some point. His composition style is already suitable, all they would have to do is adapt it into an orchestra.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    If EON don't want previous Bond composers returning, I think Howard Shore would be someone that would be able to really capture the John Barry James Bond sound. His Middle-Earth scores sound very lush to know he can do it.
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    Christopher Lennertz
  • edited June 23 Posts: 2,141
    Christopher Lennertz

He did some of the Bond video games. FRWL and QoS I think.
    edited June 24 Posts: 1,884
    I really like Lennertz's take on the Bond sound. He understands the Bond sound, that he creates music that still sounds very much Bond, without sounding like the Bond theme.
    Surprised that nobody has mentioned Lorne Balfe yet. I wasn't a fan of his work on "M:I", but otherwise he has made some solid scores.
    Oh, I think Balfe has been suggested before somewhere. But it seems to me, a lot of Bond fans aren't that crazy about him doing Bond. I enjoy his scores myself. His score for Dead Reckoning is really good and a favorite of mine...some of it sounds like John Barry too.
    Although, if it's going to be a RCP composer for Bond 26, that isn't Zimmer himself, Benjamin Wallfisch is someone I would want.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Balfe can be quite varied. I've been surprised to see his name on scores which have been more melodic and traditional; I think Dungeons and Dragons was one.
    edited July 10 Posts: 24,053
    I think Tyler Bates has been building an interesting catalogue over the years. He can do ambient as well as melodic music very well. He even goes a little "Barry" in his score for Pearl, though not without a sense of irony.

I still want a Bond score by Giacchino. No kidding, his score for The Batman is a masterpiece in my opinion, rich in character themes, suspense and romance. He strikes me as someone who should be given the chance at least once.

And if it's Lorne Balfe, you're not going to hear me complain either. I've enjoyed most of his scores so far.

As a sidenote, I'm not sure a composer's previous work is always a fair indication of what he can do with Bond. Obviously, we've got to start somewhere, but take Arnold, for example. Shaken And Stirred got him the gig; Stargate and ID4 didn't exactly scream Bond. Newman delivered quality work in many films before SF, but his two Bond scores seem to have let many fans down, unexpectedly, I might add. Zimmer convinced doubters, let down fans, and everything in between. It's hard to get the tune right for everyone. The sound of Bond is a curious beast; it brings out the best in some, while others, no matter how accomplished, reach mediocrity at best. It's always something of a gamble, in my opinion.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I still want a Bond score by Giacchino. No kidding, his score for The Batman is a masterpiece in my opinion

I have issues with The Batman. I found a lot I liked in it, but the pacing and story really dragged for me on the first viewing.

My second viewing, my mind was a little "altered", and I found some of the character work really nice, and both viewings I thought Pattinson was a very good Batman, and an interesting, psychologically unstable Bruce (Batman is way more "with it" than Bruce is. I enjoyed this aspect).

But without a doubt, the soundtrack was a masterpiece. I loved it. And I'd certainly love to hear Giacchino do James Bond.

Someone can correct me, but wasn't he chosen to replace Barry on THE INCREDIBLES, because he was such a fan of the man? Or have I somehow made that up in my head, 😂??
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Yes, @peter - they originally wanted Barry to score the film but he didn't wanted to do a pastiche of his own work (they used OHMSS in the trailer for the film, highlighting their intentions with the music). When Barry bailed, Giacchino was more than happy to step up and give them the score they wanted. And it's a lot of fun. It's the kind of homage-filled score that only animated films can get away with.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Yes, @peter - they originally wanted Barry to score the film but he didn't wanted to do a pastiche of his own work (they used OHMSS in the trailer for the film, highlighting their intentions with the music). When Barry bailed, Giacchino was more than happy to step up and give them the score they wanted. And it's a lot of fun. It's the kind of homage-filled score that only animated films can get away with.

Okay, great! So I wasn't making up a story, or losing my mind! 😅
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Yeah, Giacchino is incredible. His track 'Catwoman' for The Batman is particularly good and quite Bondian.

Denbigh wrote: »
    Yeah, Giacchino is incredible. His track 'Catwoman' for The Batman is particularly good and quite Bondian.

Exactly. And I can't get it out of my head, either. It's haunting, in a very good way.
  • mattjoesmattjoes has three men to kill
    Regarding Barry's involvement with The Incredibles, this is Barry agent Richard Kraft's account of what happened:

My last attempt at Barry glory came with a call from Brad Bird about his new film, THE INCREDIBLES.

Bird wanted a classic Barry/Bond score. The two of us nerded out imagining how cool it would be if Barry wanted to really tap back into that side of himself.

We talked about tracking down the same mics, amps and guitars Barry had used back in the 60s.

Barry and Bird hit it off and John was onboard for a huge Pixar animated film.

John and I flew to San Francisco for his first presentation of themes. I begged to hear them. John pulled out his Walkman and hit play.

It was one slow, melancholy piece after another.

“Where’s the Bond action music?”

Barry said he could write that in his sleep, that the real nut to crack was capturing the midlife angst of the superhero dad.

I wasn’t too convinced.

The next day I got the call from Brad Bird.

“Well, that was interesting. But I sure would like to hear some action music.”

To encourage that he sent Barry a storyboarded sequence of the the character of Dash being frantically chased.

Barry had never worked in animation. He was accustomed to working on final footage, not pencil tests and CGI roughs. The process grew frustrating for him and he wanted to quit the film. I begged him not to.

Brad was determined to make the best of the situation.

He suggested using Barry just to write some key themes and he would hire this young kid Michael Giacchino to adapt them into a score.

I negotiated a new deal, and Barry turned in a new batch of themes… all of them slow and none of them Bondian.

I was sure Bird was going to fire him. But Brad desperately wanted John to succeed and so did I. We were two fanboys who wanted our hero to soar again.

So we brainstormed and hatched a plan.

Brad had temp tracked the teaser for THE INCREDIBLES using Barry’s score to ON HER MAJESTY’S SECRET SERVICE. We approached John to score the trailer knowing it was less abstract since it contained finalized footage. And the music was pure Bond.

John reluctantly played me his demo.

It was really good!

My only comment was that for about four measures it veered off into something that somehow sounded like it was from some Western. An easy fix.

John sent it off as it was.

Brad Bird called me all excited. We were finally getting somewhere.

He called John to rave and to give him a single note, to change a few seconds that sounded like cowboy music.

With that, John quit the film.

(Source: https://perspectiveforum.net/2016/05/22/the-beyondness-of-things-my-bittersweet-relationship-with-barry-john-barry/)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Regarding Barry's involvement with The Incredibles, this is Barry agent Richard Kraft's account of what happened:

My last attempt at Barry glory came with a call from Brad Bird about his new film, THE INCREDIBLES.

Bird wanted a classic Barry/Bond score. The two of us nerded out imagining how cool it would be if Barry wanted to really tap back into that side of himself.

We talked about tracking down the same mics, amps and guitars Barry had used back in the 60s.

Barry and Bird hit it off and John was onboard for a huge Pixar animated film.

John and I flew to San Francisco for his first presentation of themes. I begged to hear them. John pulled out his Walkman and hit play.

It was one slow, melancholy piece after another.

“Where’s the Bond action music?”

Barry said he could write that in his sleep, that the real nut to crack was capturing the midlife angst of the superhero dad.

I wasn’t too convinced.

The next day I got the call from Brad Bird.

“Well, that was interesting. But I sure would like to hear some action music.”

To encourage that he sent Barry a storyboarded sequence of the the character of Dash being frantically chased.

Barry had never worked in animation. He was accustomed to working on final footage, not pencil tests and CGI roughs. The process grew frustrating for him and he wanted to quit the film. I begged him not to.

Brad was determined to make the best of the situation.

He suggested using Barry just to write some key themes and he would hire this young kid Michael Giacchino to adapt them into a score.

I negotiated a new deal, and Barry turned in a new batch of themes… all of them slow and none of them Bondian.

I was sure Bird was going to fire him. But Brad desperately wanted John to succeed and so did I. We were two fanboys who wanted our hero to soar again.

So we brainstormed and hatched a plan.

Brad had temp tracked the teaser for THE INCREDIBLES using Barry’s score to ON HER MAJESTY’S SECRET SERVICE. We approached John to score the trailer knowing it was less abstract since it contained finalized footage. And the music was pure Bond.

John reluctantly played me his demo.

It was really good!

My only comment was that for about four measures it veered off into something that somehow sounded like it was from some Western. An easy fix.

John sent it off as it was.

Brad Bird called me all excited. We were finally getting somewhere.

He called John to rave and to give him a single note, to change a few seconds that sounded like cowboy music.

With that, John quit the film.

(Source: https://perspectiveforum.net/2016/05/22/the-beyondness-of-things-my-bittersweet-relationship-with-barry-john-barry/)

That made me melancholy to read. Poor Mr. Barry. Obvious there was a disconnect between the content of the story, the requests and his own artistic vision. It seems as if everyone got their heart broken a little bit, on this one.