Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Benny wrote: »
    Having seen The Fall Guy, I hope that ATJ is not cast as the next James Bond.
    Not based on this performance alone, but it’s done him no favours in my opinion.

I like his arrogant attitude in The Fall Guy, but I agree, @Benny, it's become a lot more difficult to see him as Bond. (It doesn't help that Theo James has been able to click with me in The Gentlemen.)
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited June 21 Posts: 6,155
    mtm wrote: »
    bondywondy wrote: »
    There has been fan backlash against Disney and Doctor Who.

Not really no. I'm a Who fan and that doesn't correlate to what I see. It's a fandom so there's always some outspoken racists in there, but they're a very small minority thankfully.
    As Sandbagger says, this all sounds very made up. I'm not sure anyone here will be very interested in a conversation about this. Someone will mention Shaft and then it'll just drag on and on, best to just avoid it.
    The main villain in Obi Wan by the way, was Darth Vader! :D He certainly dresses in black so that's probably enough to get worried about.
    A diversity choice as Bond is a distinct possibility.

That's fine.
    007HallY wrote: »
    I love the uncanniness of those images. Still a no from me when it comes to Elordi though.

Must say though, after hearing him mentioned recently in this thread, I seem to keep on noticing Harris Dickinson in things I've watched. I actually kinda think he could be a great choice despite his young age.

Yeah. I think Harris Dickinson has an extra something about him. I can't pinpoint what it is exactly. But he's just got that extra something that's needed for Bond.

Yes, agreed. He feels like a natural star about to get big: he's got that bit extra- he adds value. Where folk like ATJ don't really. As mentioned above: see The Fall Guy and witness him do nothing with a role which was primed to steal the film.

I brought him up last year when Triangle of Sadness (I love its third act) hit. I think he'd be a good choice.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    There has been fan backlash against Disney and Doctor Who. Fans claiming the franchises are ruined due to woke agenda and Bond fans had to endure the indignity of James Bond dying (a female Bond producer, Barbara Broccoli, literally killing off an alpha male hero) ... so I don't expect Bond 26 to be non woke. A diversity choice as Bond is a distinct possibility.

At least EON have enough common sense to not tell their fans to go out and touch grass, rather than watch. Imagine the captain of the Titanic blaming the passengers for the sinking. That's what is happening with Doctor Who.

I just searched for that reference even though I hadn't heard of it before: found it- it's just Gatwa saying that to the 'haters' who were upset about his race in one interview. Doesn't seem that weird a message to me: if you don't like a TV show just because of the colour of an alien character, especially one where the message is that everyone in the universe is unique and special, then stop watching it. Personally I think he's a bit allowed to take offence at people criticising him just because of his skin colour, and it seems a pretty well-mannered response.

Morally correct of course, but the sliding ratings don't lie unfortunately. If they don't pick up then Who viewership will be at its lowest that they've been in a long time. So unless we're saying that the majority of fans are racist, and I doubt we are (as you say, the racists seem to be in the minority), then it must be something to do with the storytelling.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 21 Posts: 16,000
    There has been fan backlash against Disney and Doctor Who. Fans claiming the franchises are ruined due to woke agenda and Bond fans had to endure the indignity of James Bond dying (a female Bond producer, Barbara Broccoli, literally killing off an alpha male hero) ... so I don't expect Bond 26 to be non woke. A diversity choice as Bond is a distinct possibility.

At least EON have enough common sense to not tell their fans to go out and touch grass, rather than watch. Imagine the captain of the Titanic blaming the passengers for the sinking. That's what is happening with Doctor Who.

I just searched for that reference even though I hadn't heard of it before: found it- it's just Gatwa saying that to the 'haters' who were upset about his race in one interview. Doesn't seem that weird a message to me: if you don't like a TV show just because of the colour of an alien character, especially one where the message is that everyone in the universe is unique and special, then stop watching it. Personally I think he's a bit allowed to take offence at people criticising him just because of his skin colour, and it seems a pretty well-mannered response.

Morally correct of course, but the sliding ratings don't lie unfortunately. If they don't pick up then Who viewership will be at its lowest that they've been in a long time. So unless we're saying that the majority of fans are racist, and I doubt we are (as you say, the racists seem to be in the minority), then it must be something to do with the storytelling.

The 28 day ratings for ep.3 have just landed and it puts it at the 9th most watched programme that week: usually (since 2005) Dr Who has hovered at around the no.14-15 position. TV viewership has changed, only stuff like a coronation or England match (or I'm a Celeb) gets the kinds of figures DW got even five years ago.
    Yes, I reckon they were hoping for about 5m 7 day figures, so it's not quite as high as they might have hoped for, but it's no disaster when compared to what every other drama or even everything else on TV is getting. The boost from the 7 day+ ratings suggests the storytelling is doing something right.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

The 28 day ratings for ep.3 have just landed and it puts it at the 9th most watched programme that week: usually (since 2005) Dr Who has hovered at around the no.14-15 position. TV viewership has changed, only stuff like a coronation or England match (or I'm a Celeb) gets the kinds of figures DW got even five years ago.
    Yes, I reckon they were hoping for about 5m 7 day figures, so it's not quite as high as they might have hoped for, but it's no disaster when compared to what every other drama or even everything else on TV is getting. The boost from the 7 day+ ratings suggests the storytelling is doing something right.

One can hope that their plan for building a new, younger audience will pay dividends in the long run, as I imagine that it is mostly that bracket that are making up that 28 day viewership. It seems like a fairly consistent decline to me, one that started towards the end of Capaldi's run. The racial backlash seems like a bit of a smokescreen to cover up that ongoing drop to me.

Which is a shame, as similar enough to all the Bond actors, I have liked all the Doctors for their own individual reasons.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

One can hope that their plan for building a new, younger audience will pay dividends in the long run, as I imagine that it is mostly that bracket that are making up that 28 day viewership. It seems like a fairly consistent decline to me, one that started towards the end of Capaldi's run. The racial backlash seems like a bit of a smokescreen to cover up that ongoing drop to me.

Which is a shame, as similar enough to all the Bond actors, I have liked all the Doctors for their own individual reasons.

Viewership is declining, but judge that against what everything else on TV is getting, because everything else is declining too.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    There's been an undercover interview with a Disney employee claiming Disney will not hire white men for leading roles. This claim is consistent with recent Star Wars content which doesn't feature white men (of Northern hemisphere heritage) in starring roles.

Star Wars sequel trilogy - main character a woman, Rey.
    Ashoka - non white woman in lead role. Rosario Dawson is mixed colour.
    Andor - non white actor in lead role. Diego Lunar is Mexican.
    The Acolyte - main star a black woman. Most of the cast women. Also, lesbian subtext to storyline.
    Obi-Wan Kenobo - main villain was a black woman. Actress Moses Ingram.

Doctor Who (2024 series) is in partnership with Disney and a black man, Ncuti Gatwa, is the Doctor. This isn't a coincidence.

It's possible Amazon may have a similar woke agenda and may put pressure on Eon to cast a black actor as Bond. Disney is known for its strong diversity agenda (be that a good or bad thing!)... but I haven't see enough Amazon tv/film content to notice a DEI agenda (diversity, equity and inclusion).

I think it's possible the next actor will be a diversity choice? Given the slow pace of production on Bond 26, we have no idea when it will be released, a young black or other ethnicity actor may appear and be considered/cast by Eon.

@bondywondy
    We are not going to play the "woke" game on this forum.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The 28 day figures for Doctor Who, are the latest straw being grasped. The overnight figures are abysmal, the 7 day figures aren't much better. And so the goal posts have moved. The show is in trouble. If it were doing so well, Disney would have said something about their wonderful partnership.

Once Disney has its pound of flesh in the two series it's paid for, I wouldn't be surprised if it kills the partnership.
    Dr. Who's a funny one. It has a solid fan following, although admittedly some in this fandom seem to despise it simultaneously and are very vocal about it... which is very common for fandoms I guess, although some seem outright nasty/dull anti-woke types. Compared to the Tennant years I don't think it has that wide a general appeal, especially amongst younger UK audiences. It seems to be doing fine considering the shift in television habits at this point though. I've only watched a few episodes from Gatwa's series, and it's been ok. I'm not sure if I'm invested (but honestly, I'm not a fan/all that interested and haven't been since the Matt Smith years, if that) but it's not a disaster. Maybe just not my cup of tea. I don't think it's sparked too much excitement with general audiences, but the show seems to be better than it was a few years ago.

If it's any consolation though, I think the next Bond actor/film will drum up much more general audience excitement than the new Dr. Who has.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 23 Posts: 16,000
    The 28 day figures for Doctor Who, are the latest straw being grasped.

I don't think you can point to a set of ratings and say they don't count. Ratings show how many people are watching it, full stop. You can't just pick and choose in order to try and make a case for the side that it's failing. If 28 day figures were meaningless than they wouldn't be recorded and released.
    It remains high in the charts, you have to compare TV show ratings with how many people are watching other TV shows: it's like for like.
    Disney, incidentally, are unlikely to care about the ratings in the one country in the world they don't screen it.

There's a good balanced piece in the Times today which may help to explain it.
    https://www.thetimes.com/uk/arts/article/doctor-who-us-adventure-hangs-balance-bbc-disney-hnwsss7jn
    Chris Curtis, editor of the industry newspaper Broadcast, said: “In terms of assessing Doctor Who’s UK performance on the BBC, the picture is a bit clearer. Its seven-day figures are averaging between 3.5 million and 4 million viewers each week, which feels decent enough. You couldn’t call it a gangbuster hit, but it’s not a flop either — maybe just a little underwhelming.”
  • BennyBenny Shaken not stirredAdministrator, Moderator
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Disney, incidentally, are unlikely to care about the ratings in the one country in the world they don't screen it.

That's true, however..... Disney have not released their own viewing figures. Whether they do or not, I don't know. Nor have they put something anything out to suggest that they are happy with the partnership. We'll know for certain, next year, whether Disney renews the partnership or not.

I am by no means revelling in the ratings falling. The way I see it, is that if the show is still on, then there is a chance that the next Doctor will be more to my liking.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    The time for his possibly being Bond has past but this may give a hint as to how Fassbender would have been

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/michael-fassbender-showtime-spy-drama-the-agency-1235931014/
  • meshypushymeshypushy Ireland
    talos7 wrote: »
    The time for his possibly being Bond has past but this may give a hint as to how Fassbender would have been

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/michael-fassbender-showtime-spy-drama-the-agency-1235931014/
    This sounds intriguing. He has made some unusual career decisions in later years but I guess he has been ‘right guy, wrong time’ regarding Bond. On that note, I think I’m due a Haywire rewatch.
  • edited June 26 Posts: 3,744
    Fassbender’s an actor I’ve slowly realised would never have made a likely or even good Bond. I like him as an actor, but he’s ultimately more a character actor and seems to thrive best when working with directors with a very specific vision in mind (ie. Shame, Hunger, The Killer). I don’t think he ever quite had that X factor/charisma needed to lead a series like Bond. His most successful films were those in which he played supporting parts, often where he was more intense, and I don’t think he added much as the lead to bigger films such as The Snowman and Assasin’s Creed (although both had many problems anyway). Even his role in Inglorious Basterds is halfway between a parody and a pastiche of a Bond type character, rather than an authentic indication of what he’d have brought to the role.

Anyway, EoN likely wouldn’t have risked an association with him even if Craig had left the role by 2015 due to his previous assault allegations (think of them what you will by the way, but the allegations do exist and I suspect it’s impacted his career, albeit to a very limited extent considering his lack of roles the past few years).
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited June 26 Posts: 1,602
    Fassbender’s an actor I’ve slowly realised would never have made a likely or even good Bond. I like him as an actor, but he’s ultimately more a character actor and seems to thrive best when working with directors with a very specific vision in mind (ie. Shame, Hunger, The Killer). I don’t think he ever quite had that X factor/charisma needed to lead a series like Bond. His most successful films were those in which he played supporting parts, often where he was more intense, and I don’t think he added much as the lead to bigger films such as The Snowman and Assasin’s Creed (although both had many problems anyway). Even his role in Inglorious Basterds is halfway between a parody and a pastiche of a Bond type character, rather than an authentic indication of what he’d have brought to the role.

Anyway, EoN likely wouldn’t have risked an association with him even if Craig had left the role by 2015 due to his previous assault allegations (think of them what you will by the way, but the allegations do exist and I suspect it’s impacted his career, albeit to a very limited extent considering his lack of roles the past few years).

Look into Fassbender's deep involvement beyond just starring in the Assasin's Creed franchise if you have time - he was deeply involved in story adaptation and development, and other aspects, it was at least partially his vision, and he has later done online interviews you can watch saying he can now see the flaws and what's missing and some of the challenge of adaptation. So I think that's what we would have gotten with his Bond: good effort, good intentions, just unfortunately lacking results in that type of project. It's just not his fit. He's an excellent actor.

I think he would have been a Dalton-type. Tried to work the novels in more, with some grit and darkness and drama, and that may not have been exactly what producers or audiences wanted. Though we see with the Craig era that may have actually worked rather favorably. Oh well.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

I respectfully disagree; he would have been an outstanding Bond, with one caveat that could apply to many actors, he would have needed the right director. Yes that’s stating the obvious.
  • edited June 26 Posts: 1,132
    talos7 wrote: »

I respectfully disagree; he would have been an outstanding Bond, with one caveat that could apply to many actors, he would have needed the right director. Yes that’s stating the obvious.

I could imagine him being a very intense Bond. More in line with Dalton. But I think even then Fassbender just lacks that raw energy/confidence that Bond needs. It’s just not the kind of actor he is, again despite his talent. He’s much more subtle. He doesn’t have the kind of presence in which you can imagine heads turning as he enters a casino or whatever.

I think the right director is always needed, but more important is that what they’re getting the actor to do is in line with their strengths and capabilities (and I think it would suggest that some of Fassbender’s capabilities as Bond would have been limited, which is my opinion). You can’t get a good Bond performance out of a certain actor with ‘the right director’ but not get it out of another in that sense. You can have instances where the material isn’t quite tailored or right for the actor (ie. Moore in TMWTGG) but the actor could still put in the performance needed. Or rare instances where the material is out of the actor’s range (ie. Brosnan in TWINE) but ultimately I think a good Bond is a good Bond at the end of the day, even if certain directors get the best out of them.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    No doubt some of us would have thought he was great, and some wouldn't. I remember thinking in Fish Tank that he had an easy-going charisma and charm, with that trace of danger underneath that might make for a great Bond. It's difficult to tell now. If you look at Dalton's performance in Hot Fuzz you'd have thought this was a guy who'd play 007 relaxed with a twinkle in his eye, which just isn't the way he chose to go. There's only so much you can tell by looking at past roles, though of course that's all those of us outside of the Eon casting process have to go on.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Being chauffeured by Tibbett
    edited June 27 Posts: 633
    I suppose what interests me most is how an actor's innate qualities can be used to craft a unique version of the Bond character, sufficiently different from what came before. I've been thinking about what each of the six actors brought to the part and how this not only distinguished them from their predecessors, but advanced the character as a whole.

Connery brought out Bond’s brutishness and sex appeal, and also a sense of humour that instilled the films with a sense of fun, not to be taken too seriously.

Lazenby, while his acting skills were limited, still brought his own youthful self-assurance and cheekiness, that was quite welcome after Connery’s more subdued performance in YOLT.

Moore specialised in wry humour and a smooth demeanor, qualities that were already part of Bond's character, and that resided in Moore himself. But there's a warmth to Moore that Connery lacked, and he also imbued Bond with a greater sense of humanity.

Dalton brought a disturbed moodiness and an almost theatrical intensity (some would call it overacting).

Brosnan… I’ll have to have a think about that one.

Craig, like Dalton, channelled the character’s darkness and world-weariness, but his acting style was more understated and minimalist, and counterbalanced by a relaxed confidence and swagger, reminiscent of the pre-Dalton incarnations.
  • edited June 27 Posts: 2,197

Brought the series back from the brinks of death; and I do mean that quite literally. Brosnan brought his own effortless charm and sophistication which was somewhat lacking during Dalton’s tenure (not a dig). I’ll also say that he never becomes outright comedic like Moore, nor too overly-serious at times like Dalton and Craig.

Thought I’d help you there 😁
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited June 27 Posts: 1,884

Brought the series back from the brinks of death; and I do mean that quite literally. Brosnan brought his own effortless charm and sophistication which was somewhat lacking during Dalton’s tenure (not a dig). I’ll also say that he never becomes outright comedic like Moore, nor too overly-serious at times like Dalton and Craig.

Yeah. That's Pierce's Bond in a nutshell. Pierce was a 90s Bond, it wasn't completely off to put him in flashy, action-heavy Bond films...that how action films of the 90s were after all, with the likes of John Woo, Michael Bay, Tony Scott, etc. churning out bombastic action films frequently.
    Also, if the Bourne series didn't come out at about the same time DAD did, I'm not sure DAD would have been critically maligned the way it was, even if the film was a notch too outlandish, but still Bondian.
  • edited June 27 Posts: 1,132

Yeah. That's Pierce's Bond in a nutshell. Pierce was a 90s Bond, it wasn't completely off to put him in flashy, action-heavy Bond films...that how action films of the 90s were after all, with the likes of John Woo, Michael Bay, Tony Scott, etc. churning out bombastic action films frequently.
    Also, if the Bourne series didn't come out at about the same time DAD did, I'm not sure DAD would have been critically maligned the way it was, even if the film was a notch too outlandish, but still Bondian.

They spent ten years trying not to be Dalton's Bond and then Bourne showed up. I'm sure it was a revelation to them.
  • edited June 27 Posts: 3,744

Well, Brosnan's films past GE always had a bit of a mixed critical reaction, although none were panned (even DAD) and it leaned slightly more positive than negative. I suspect if anything fan reaction was stronger about his Bond/the direction of his films.

It's a bit of a hypothetical as Bourne did in fact influence CR, but I think regardless a change in direction and actor was needed. You can tell in TWINE and DAD they were trying to give Brosnan material that was a bit beyond his range/the tone of his Bond (ie. Bond dealing with injury, self doubt, and falling for Elektra in TWINE seems more a Craig era idea. Same for Bond being imprisoned/betrayed in DAD). With Craig they got an actor who could carry that darker side of Bond along with the breezier, more humorous element.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.

Well, Brosnan's films past GE always had a bit of a mixed critical reaction, although none were panned (even DAD) and it leaned slightly more positive than negative. I suspect if anything fan reaction was stronger about his Bond/the direction of his films.

It's a bit of a hypothetical as Bourne did in fact influence CR, but I think regardless a change in direction and actor was needed. You can tell in TWINE and DAD they were trying to give Brosnan material that was a bit beyond his range/the tone of his Bond (ie. Bond dealing with injury, self doubt, and falling for Elektra in TWINE seems more a Craig era idea. Same for Bond being imprisoned/betrayed in DAD). With Craig they got an actor who could carry that darker side of Bond along with the breezier, more humorous element.

The Brosnan films tested the waters for bigger things to come.

Yeah, Brosnan isn't the most dramatic actor around. He's all about being slick, stylish and all that. It worked for him then and he did it ever so well.
    I don't know, but I can't imagine a minimalistic, plot-driven, less action Bond film like Skyfall being highly successful in 1997 or 1999, like it was in 2012. It's more like saying Brosnan's Bonds won't work today and Craig's Bond wouldn't have worked yesterday.
    Also, it wouldn't shock me if Bond 7 does extremely well, and fans start going negatively hard on the Craig films Haha! But whatever happens, I'll still love Craig's Bond.
  • edited June 27 Posts: 1,132

I don't think it was Brosnan's fault.

They wanted to make FRWL and ended up making TB. Didn't Michael G Wilson say something like that?

With Bourne they were able to make their FRWL.

They spent ten years trying not to be Dalton's Bond and then Bourne showed up. I'm sure it was a revelation to them.

Dalton's Bond was great! I love his Bond. But Brosnan's style was needed for the 90s.