Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• BennyBenny Shaken not stirredAdministrator, Moderator
    How lucky some of us were. to grow up in an era when we had a Bond film every two years. It was such fun!

That was all before I was ever conscious of what Bond was, so it’s kinda crazy to think there was a period where Bond films came out roughly two years apart for nearly 24 consecutive years from 65 to 89 with no significant breaks beyond two and a half years. For fans that aren’t discriminating about Bond films and take what they can get, that sounds great. But I can imagine audience burnout being a challenge for Eon, which is what seemed to have happened in the 80s with LTK hitting rock bottom. At a certain point Bond had become taken for granted. You could argue then it was no longer special because Cubby’s machine was always churning out a film like clockwork. This probably didn’t seem all that great especially for those who were not enamored with Moore and Dalton.

Which is partly why I think GE broke big in 95. Brosnan being a new Bond no doubt got hype building, but I don’t think it can be exaggerating to suggest just how audiences were hungry due to a drought in Bond films.

I wonder if that’s something Broccoli is considering during this post-NTTD period. That giving the films an actual break after Craig and before the new guy would hopefully build up some hunger among audiences. Personally I never expected Eon to just get to making Bond 26 immediately after NTTD and have a film out in 2023. I never entertained that thought, because at least in my lifetime there’s never been a point where we got one Bond actor coming in two years after the last actor’s film.

Between LTK and GE it was 6 years. Between DAD and CR it was 4 years. I said as far back as 2021 that at the earliest we might actually get a Bond 25 in 2025, because I was considering those long gaps with our most recent actors. I’ll be surprised if it stretches beyond 2027. The days of having different Bond actors within two years is something we’ll never see again, and I’m okay with that not only because that’s how I’ve been used to seeing it in my lifetime but because I do believe absence makes the heart grow fonder.

I do believe once we get Bond 26 we’ll see a more consistent run with two to three year gaps in between films with the new guy. That’s assuming Amazon doesn’t experience bankruptcy or COVID delaying.

I think this is one of the most accurate and likely scenarios concerning where Bond goes post NTTD.
    Great post @MakeshiftPython
    peter wrote: »
    CrabKey wrote: »
    Hard to imagine much of an audience for a film version of Othello. Sounds like a vanity project. I liked Craig as Bond and feel he's a good actor, but not great.

Beg to differ— I was front row for his MacBeth and he and Ruth Negga (as Lady M), are elite actors.

I went with my wife and two actor friends who didn’t know why I was so “into” Craig. They left the show knowing why.

Plus their mate was King Duncan and told us the scoop of this man and how far he goes to prep….

I'm not sure what you're begging to differ about. You're talking about the stage version. I'm not. It is natural for many actors to play the great Shakespearean roles on stage. I don't consider that vanity. Moving to film, I do, as Shakespearean films, exceptions noted, tend not to be financially successful.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    My first interest was what actor inhabits Othello.

Relieved to confirm David Oyelowo as Othello. Daniel Craig as Iago. And Bond connections both.

Also first off I took @CrabKey's point that by design this has a specialized audience, further affected by the current state of movie-going.

@RichardTheBruce - Thank you.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Hard to imagine much of an audience for a film version of Othello. Sounds like a vanity project. I liked Craig as Bond and feel he's a good actor, but not great.

Beg to differ— I was front row for his MacBeth and he and Ruth Negga (as Lady M), are elite actors.

I went with my wife and two actor friends who didn’t know why I was so “into” Craig. They left the show knowing why.

Plus their mate was King Duncan and told us the scoop of this man and how far he goes to prep….

I'm not sure what you're begging to differ about. You're talking about the stage version. I'm not. It is natural for many actors to play the great Shakespearean roles on stage. I don't consider that vanity. Moving to film, I do, as Shakespearean films, exceptions noted, tend not to be financially successful.

No @CrabKey:

I beg to differ about your assessment as Craig as an actor. You claimed he was “good, not great.” I mentioned MacBeth because seeing one on stage is as raw as it gets.

I beg to differ: he is an elite talent.

Not sure what you didn’t understand about me responding/replying to your post(?).
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited July 7 Posts: 1,884
    I think the only connection Craig and Bond 26 would get is, Craig would do his absolute best to encourage the new Bond...especially if Bond 7 gets heavily and almost universally maligned as he (Craig) was before CR came out.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I think the only connection Craig and Bond 26 would get is, Craig would do his absolute best to encourage the new Bond...especially if Bond 7 gets heavily and almost universally maligned as he (Craig) was before CR came out.

Absolutely. The actors who have played this role seem very classy about passing the torch (even though Brosnan felt he was side-swiped by the end of his tenure, there’s a story I read where Craig said he was at a restaurant somewhere, and Brosnan was there too. His predecessor approached him with sound advice and wished him the best).

It would be an insult to the new 007 actor if the previous man had any other role other that to cheer the new guy on!
    Benny wrote: »
    How lucky some of us were. to grow up in an era when we had a Bond film every two years. It was such fun!

That was all before I was ever conscious of what Bond was, so it’s kinda crazy to think there was a period where Bond films came out roughly two years apart for nearly 24 consecutive years from 65 to 89 with no significant breaks beyond two and a half years. For fans that aren’t discriminating about Bond films and take what they can get, that sounds great. But I can imagine audience burnout being a challenge for Eon, which is what seemed to have happened in the 80s with LTK hitting rock bottom. At a certain point Bond had become taken for granted. You could argue then it was no longer special because Cubby’s machine was always churning out a film like clockwork. This probably didn’t seem all that great especially for those who were not enamored with Moore and Dalton.

Which is partly why I think GE broke big in 95. Brosnan being a new Bond no doubt got hype building, but I don’t think it can be exaggerating to suggest just how audiences were hungry due to a drought in Bond films.

I wonder if that’s something Broccoli is considering during this post-NTTD period. That giving the films an actual break after Craig and before the new guy would hopefully build up some hunger among audiences. Personally I never expected Eon to just get to making Bond 26 immediately after NTTD and have a film out in 2023. I never entertained that thought, because at least in my lifetime there’s never been a point where we got one Bond actor coming in two years after the last actor’s film.

Between LTK and GE it was 6 years. Between DAD and CR it was 4 years. I said as far back as 2021 that at the earliest we might actually get a Bond 25 in 2025, because I was considering those long gaps with our most recent actors. I’ll be surprised if it stretches beyond 2027. The days of having different Bond actors within two years is something we’ll never see again, and I’m okay with that not only because that’s how I’ve been used to seeing it in my lifetime but because I do believe absence makes the heart grow fonder.

I do believe once we get Bond 26 we’ll see a more consistent run with two to three year gaps in between films with the new guy. That’s assuming Amazon doesn’t experience bankruptcy or COVID delaying.

I think this is one of the most accurate and likely scenarios concerning where Bond goes post NTTD.
    Great post @MakeshiftPython

Good points. I don't think we will see Bond26 until 2027 at the earliest. Let's build up franchise hunger so the transition to the new actor can be as smooth as possible. Plus at present I don't believe there are any suitable candidates as things stand.
  • edited July 7 Posts: 16,030
    I really don't think Craig will have anything to do with B26, unless there's an 85th anniversary of DR NO special he hosts like Sir Roger did when TLD was on it's way.
    Yeah, likely the extent of it will be a public congratulations when inevitably asked about the new actor. There’s really no reason for Craig to be anything other than positive about it, nor for him to be any further involved.
    Will the penny ever drop?! There's no-one man enough to do it. Unless the character is changed. The boss said it well: "Men are changing".
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited July 7 Posts: 8,128

Absolutely. The actors who have played this role seem very classy about passing the torch (even though Brosnan felt he was side-swiped by the end of his tenure, there’s a story I read where Craig said he was at a restaurant somewhere, and Brosnan was there too. His predecessor approached him with sound advice and wished him the best).

It would be an insult to the new 007 actor if the previous man had any other role other that to cheer the new guy on!

That would be at the GQ Men of the Year Awards in 2005 where they both got nominated. They shared drinks and a photo. This was on Sep 5th, a whole month before Craig was officially announced as Bond at the press event. The deal had already been signed and Craig was asking for advice, which Broz gladly provided.

df3f400e064d43af245629e89f760177.jpg
  • peterpeter Toronto

That would be at the GQ Men of the Year Awards in 2005 where they both got nominated. They shared drinks and a photo. This was on Sep 5th, a whole month before Craig was officially announced as Bond at the press event. The deal had already been signed and Craig was asking for advice, which Broz gladly provided.

That’s the one.

Classy. And love that photo.

That’s the one.

Classy. And love that photo.

I love this photo too. It’s a sort of “unofficial” passing of the torch as it were from one Bond to another.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I would love to see them share the screen at some point in the future.
    @peter -- Elite? High praise indeed.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @peter -- Elite? High praise indeed.

Yes it is.

I’m sure you have favourite actors? Some I may agree with, some I may not.

Whatever floats the boat.

From my perspective, seeing this actor from the front row for an evening, I know what we saw was very special. And the actors we went with, walked out stunned.

Like I said, they knew my feelings for Craig before the show, although they didn’t understand what the big deal was. After the show, they understood.

And then they’re friend, who played King Duncan in this show, filled in the rest.

I hope that’s alright with you, @CrabKey , 😂??
  • edited July 8 Posts: 3,744

That's actually a very nice photo. One that, for both these men, gives no indication that they'd ever play/have played James Bond, despite how great they both look there with their long hair/beards (obviously they both played the part, and exceptionally well in their own ways, but they both look 'off duty' here in the best way possible. Again, it's actually a lovely photo, one I'd never seen before now. Looks like they had a nice night).

It's good to hear Brosnan had no hard feelings overall and gave his successor some words of advice. I'm sure not only Craig, but Dalton and Brosnan too (perhaps Lazenby as well) will be publicly supportive as well of the next Bond initially. Again, not as though there's any incentive for them to say anything otherwise, and it's something they all have in common, especially knowing the hardships and publicity that goes with the role.
    Peter, it doesn't have to be alright with me. We are entitled to our opinions. Had I seen Craig on stage, I have no doubt I would have enjoyed his performance, as I did Kevin Spacey's when he did Richard III in London a decade ago. Perhaps I might have gone so far as to say "great performance." For me a body of great work is a sign of acting greatness. From what I have seen of Craig thus far, I think good actor is a fair assessment. Certainly not lousy or mediocre. But good.
    Me when I get guidance from previous Bonds
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Peter, it doesn't have to be alright with me. We are entitled to our opinions. Had I seen Craig on stage, I have no doubt I would have enjoyed his performance, as I did Kevin Spacey's when he did Richard III in London a decade ago. Perhaps I might have gone so far as to say "great performance." For me a body of great work is a sign of acting greatness. From what I have seen of Craig thus far, I think good actor is a fair assessment. Certainly not lousy or mediocre. But good.

I just wanted to make sure. You seemed as if it was an affront; offensive to your tastes, or something. I've seen a vast portion of the man's film work, and had the pleasure of seeing MacBeth, and he has, over the past two decades, solidified himself as an actor with elite talents, in my view.

He's studied his craft, he's grown and expanded his tastes, and then, what I saw on stage, was a Master at work (both he and Ms. Negga, two Masters; and it showed the gap between Craig and Negga, and the rest of the very good, very talented, very gifted cast. But no matter how good the rest of the cast was (and they were all experienced actors), they really didn't come close to the two leads).
  • edited July 8 Posts: 628
    He's studied his craft, he's grown and expanded his tastes, and then, what I saw on stage, was a Master at work (both he and Ms. Negga, two Masters; and it showed the gap between Craig and Negga, and the rest of the very good, very talented, very gifted cast. But no matter how good the rest of the cast was (and they were all experienced actors), they really didn't come close to the two leads).

You're the first person I've read who had good things to say about that production. When it hit Broadway it generally got poor reviews:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lifestyle/arts/daniel-craig-ruth-negga-asia-kate-dillon-macbeth-theater-review-1235137293/

https://www.theatermania.com/news/review-vaulting-ambition-lands-with-a-thud-in-macbeth-starring-daniel-craig-and-ruth-negga_93717/

https://variety.com/2022/legit/reviews/macbeth-review-daniel-craig-ruth-negga-broadway-1235254654/

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/29/theater/macbeth-review-broadway.html

https://www.vulture.com/2022/04/theater-review-daniel-craig-and-ruth-negga-in-macbeth.html
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Escalus5 wrote: »

You're the first person I've read who had good things to say about that production. When it hit Broadway it generally got poor reviews:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lifestyle/arts/daniel-craig-ruth-negga-asia-kate-dillon-macbeth-theater-review-1235137293/

https://www.theatermania.com/news/review-vaulting-ambition-lands-with-a-thud-in-macbeth-starring-daniel-craig-and-ruth-negga_93717/

https://variety.com/2022/legit/reviews/macbeth-review-daniel-craig-ruth-negga-broadway-1235254654/

https://www.vulture.com/2022/04/theater-review-daniel-craig-and-ruth-negga-in-macbeth.html

Knowing you’re not the greatest Craig-fan @Escalus5 , should I look for the good reviews now?

(https://www.vulture.com/2022/04/theater-review-daniel-craig-and-ruth-negga-in-macbeth.html

https://ew.com/theater/theater-reviews/macbeth-broadway-daniel-craig-ruth-negga/

https://deadline.com/2022/04/macbeth-broadway-review-daniel-craig-ruth-negga-1235011369/amp/

https://www.nj.com/entertainment/2022/04/macbeth-broadway-review-daniel-craig-and-ruth-negga-supercharge-a-gripping-production.html?outputType=amp

https://www.thewrap.com/macbeth-broadway-review-daniel-craig-ruth-negga/

https://www.westendtheatre.com/117300/news/reviews/macbeth-broadway-reviews-starring-daniel-craig-and-ruth-negga/

The Guardian
    ★★★

The Times
    ★★★★

TimeOut New York
    ★★★

Entertainment Weekly
    ★★★★

ALL THE REVIEWS ARE IN: AVERAGE REVIEW :
    3/4

Have I ever cared what reviewers say about a play, or a film? I honestly don’t remember the last time I read a review for a film or a play (but to counter your cut n paste, I did a thirty second scroll and cut n pasted the above, 😂)

I like what I like, and I don’t like what I don’t like.

@meshypushy also saw the show, had fine things to say about it, as well.

Why was the show sold out every night, @Escalus5 ? I’m sure you have heard of plays on and off Broadway having to close early because of bad reviews?

And no, it didn’t receive mainly poor reviews. Out of all the published reviews it averaged 3/4 stars.

But, in the end, what was the point of your post? Did you think anything you cut n paste here, reviews I didn’t read before, nor will I read now, would change my mind? My wife’s? The friends we saw it with? What was your point, 😂?!!
  • meshypushymeshypushy Ireland
    Escalus5 wrote: »

Knowing you’re not the greatest Craig-fan @Escalus5 , should I look for the good reviews now?

(https://www.vulture.com/2022/04/theater-review-daniel-craig-and-ruth-negga-in-macbeth.html

https://ew.com/theater/theater-reviews/macbeth-broadway-daniel-craig-ruth-negga/

https://deadline.com/2022/04/macbeth-broadway-review-daniel-craig-ruth-negga-1235011369/amp/

https://www.nj.com/entertainment/2022/04/macbeth-broadway-review-daniel-craig-and-ruth-negga-supercharge-a-gripping-production.html?outputType=amp

https://www.thewrap.com/macbeth-broadway-review-daniel-craig-ruth-negga/

https://www.westendtheatre.com/117300/news/reviews/macbeth-broadway-reviews-starring-daniel-craig-and-ruth-negga/

The Guardian
    ★★★

The Times
    ★★★★

TimeOut New York
    ★★★

Entertainment Weekly
    ★★★★

ALL THE REVIEWS ARE IN: AVERAGE REVIEW :
    3/4

Have I ever cared what reviewers say about a play, or a film? I honestly don’t remember the last time I read a review for a film or a play (but to counter your cut n paste, I did a thirty second scroll and cut n pasted the above, 😂)

I like what I like, and I don’t like what I don’t like.

@meshypushy also saw the show, had fine things to say about it, as well.

Why was the show sold out every night, @Escalus5 ? I’m sure you have heard of plays on and off Broadway having to close early because of bad reviews?

And no, it didn’t receive mainly poor reviews. Out of all the published reviews it averaged 3/4 stars.

But, in the end, what was the point of your post? Did you think anything you cut n paste here, reviews I didn’t read before, nor will I read now, would change my mind? My wife’s? The friends we saw it with? What was your point, 😂?!!
    I can understand the reviews, as the production was not going to be to everyone’s taste. I (a) have overdosed on Shakespeare and (b) was familiar with Sam Gold’s work prior to attending, so a fresh take on the text was right up my street.
    It was a very brave production, flawed in places for sure but overall I would love to have seen it again. It was certainly a masterclass from the two leads.
    I can understand folk who bought tickets assuming it was going to be a traditional production not being happy but if you buy anything without doing research, you’re at risk of being surprised. Based on the audience the night I attended, I think a lot of folk bought the tickets without any idea of what they were getting into.
    For me, it was certainly worth the cost and hassle of flying to NYC just to see it and if Craig was to go back to theatre in future, I would certainly be in line for those front row tickets! It was a privilege to catch the production.
    Success in the theatre these days is highly unpredictable. Many theaters have shuttered or drastically modified their seasons. Non-musicals are increasingly a tougher sell. But most disturbing of all is the unwillingness of many theaters to do anything but tired familiar fare. If I never see another production of Steel Magnolias or The Odd Couple it will be much too soon. Great plays that they are, I don't need to see either again. I fully understand the economics of theatre -- bums on seats. Mounting little known or experimental productions is simply not viable for many theaters. Very hard these days for newbies to break in. My earlier assessment of Craig as an actor is not at odds with my belief that theaters should make every effort to try new things. I commend and encourage experimentation. When I read of another of my local theater groups doing yet another production of The Music Man or The Sound of Music, I shake my head. I particularly do not like The Music Man, yet it is a true America show with decades of success. Good grief, I am so tired of same old same old. I would much rather see something experimental that backfires than an old standard that's done over and over. So, I commend Craig for bringing something new to the stage. Whether it will work as a film, I don't know. My guess is it won't be a box office smash, but that's okay. Because I'll pay to see that before I'll pay or watch for free about 90% of the dreck being produced today.
    On one hand, Craig is a great actor. On the other, an awful Stormtrooper.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Ha! Enjoy MacBeth and I hope you can take a second to give your feedback. I won’t say anymore, and wish you the best viewing experience.
    I watched Polanski's The Tragedy of Macbeth the other day - very good, and definitely one of the grittiest versions of a Shakespeare play I've ever seen. Nothing remotely stagey about it at all, contrasting with several of the other filmed versions I've watched. I though Jon Finch was excellent - I mainly know him from one of my great guilty pleasure movies, The Final Programme, where he's definitely having fun and is somewhat in Roger Moore mode, so this was a nice chance to see him playing completely straight. Supposedly he was offered Live and Let Die but turned it down. I think he could have been good, though whether he would have been as successful as Roger, or indeed if he would have played it any differently from him, is something I'll just have to wonder about.
  • edited July 9 Posts: 3,744
    Ha! Enjoy MacBeth and I hope you can take a second to give your feedback. I won’t say anymore, and wish you the best viewing experience.
    I watched Polanski's The Tragedy of Macbeth the other day - very good, and definitely one of the grittiest versions of a Shakespeare play I've ever seen. Nothing remotely stagey about it at all, contrasting with several of the other filmed versions I've watched. I though Jon Finch was excellent - I mainly know him from one of my great guilty pleasure movies, The Final Programme, where he's definitely having fun and is somewhat in Roger Moore mode, so this was a nice chance to see him playing completely straight. Supposedly he was offered Live and Let Die but turned it down. I think he could have been good, though whether he would have been as successful as Roger, or indeed if he would have played it any differently from him, is something I'll just have to wonder about.

I really liked him in Hitchcock’s Frenzy. Don’t think he wanted too much fame though. I agree, he probably didn’t have Moore’s sheer star quality, but he could have been good and it's interesting speculating.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Happy you saw it, @sandbagger1 !! I wonder how much of Polanski’s personal life was baked into the DNA of this film. He had only lost Sharon Tate a couple years before. He must’ve still been traumatized, and I can’t help but think this bloody horrific adaptation was part of his grieving process (I guess this is my next rabbit hole to hop into!).

Finch was terrific. Hungry, driven, absolute ambition.

I don’t think I knew he was offered LALD!! He certainly had the chops to make a very good James Bond, but, although Moore isn’t my favourite Bond, I now respect him quite a bit more than I ever did (thanks to @mtm seriously making me re-think Moore’s tenure); Moore was deceptively sly and made Bond look easy. But taking a closer look, he was rather layered in the role. He wasn’t just the raised eyebrow. And he leaned into making his Bond very much different than Connery (and captured some elements of the Fleming character too (I re-read TMWTGG last week and I saw Craig-Bond at the beginning, and then saw a lot of Moore in the rest of the novel, especially when playing the part of a stuffy, uptight Mark Hazard).

My long winded way of saying, no matter how good Finch may’ve been, or anyone else, Moore succeeded and connected with audiences by being… him. Immensely likeable. Charming. Warm. He brought the audiences into him.

Crafty performances from him….

(Apologies for the long-winded reply; travel from MacBeth to Polanski, to Finch to Moore, 😂)
    I liked Jon Finch in Death on the Nile and of course Frenzy. I imagine he’d gone for a more darker, Dalton-like portrayal had he been cast for Live and Let Die; he’s a very brooding individual depending on what you watch him in.