Brian De Palma Appreciation Thread

2»

Comments

Bumping this thread to share the news of Body Double receiving a 4K release:

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=34840

No better way to celebrate the film’s 40th anniversary than getting top-tier treatment! One thing I am frustrated by is that lately several 4K releases such as this one have been Steelbook-only releases (I just don’t care for Steelbook packaging), but for the films I really enjoy like this it’s still worth getting of course. Also, I’ve found the telescope song is a real earworm.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @FoxRox
    I really love that score. It blends Psycho with Risky Business. Who'd've thought that could work? But it does. I'm generally a fan of De Palma's more risky films.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @FoxRox
    I really love that score. It blends Psycho with Risky Business. Who'd've thought that could work? But it does. I'm generally a fan of De Palma's more risky films.

Another two classics I love! Pino Donaggio’s scores certainly helped make several De Palma films as memorable and entertaining as they are.
    My Top Five De Palma would look something like this:

1. CARLITO'S WAY
    2. BODY DOUBLE
    3. THE UNTOUCHABLES
    4. CARRIE
    5. OBSESSION

I've never gotten the appeal of BLOW OUT even after giving the film a couple of viewings. I like where it's going as an exercise in style, but when it expects us to take the story seriously, I just can't. Travolta's and Allen's characters do stupid things, which annoys me, and I don't find any of it nearly as interesting as the film being referenced (Antonioni's BLOW-UP).

SCARFACE is great fun, but it's way too long (especially considering that Howard Hawks' brilliant original got the major points across in half the time), and much of it is unintentionally hilarious.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited July 22 Posts: 17,788
    The Untouchables, The Fury & Mission: Impossible are my faves. Mission To Mars was a waste of money & talent.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    The Untouchables, The Fury & Mission: Impossible are my faves. Mission To Mars was a waste of money & talent.
    You can say that again. I tried three times to like MTM but I'm having none of it, ever again. Even the Morricone score let me down. Red Planet was the better Mars film at the time.
    edited July 23 Posts: 17,788
    You can say that again. I tried three times to like MTM but I'm having none of it, ever again. Even the Morricone score let me down. Red Planet was the better Mars film at the time.

If you want to get your ass to Mars, there are only three choices- The Martian, John Carter or Total Recall.

If you want to get your ass to Mars, there are only three choices- The Martian, John Carter or Total Recall.

The Martian and Total Recall for me.
    And Ghosts Of Mars. A terrible film, but I'm having these Carpenter retrospectives once in a while, so... 😉

The Martian and Total Recall for me.
    And Ghosts Of Mars. A terrible film, but I'm having these Carpenter retrospectives once in a while, so... 😉

Bad Carpenter is still interesting.
    The Martian is good, but not one I care to really rewatch. Haven't seen John Carter, did not like Ghosts of Mars. It's Total Recall (obviously the Arnie version) for me!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited July 23 Posts: 9,185
    FoxRox wrote: »
    The Martian is good, but not one I care to really rewatch. Haven't seen John Carter, did not like Ghosts of Mars. It's Total Recall (obviously the Arnie version) for me!

That remake/reboot was atrocious (apologies to any fans). Arnie was at the peak of his powers, and Total Recall was such great cheese ball fun.

I’m very concerned with the new Running Man by Edgar Wright.
  • edited July 23 Posts: 628
    peter wrote: »
    I’m very concerned with the new Running Man by Edgar Wright.

I'd like to see a version of The Running Man that is actually faithful to the downbeat novel by Stephen King, but I don't think Wright is the director for that job.