Share your story ideas for BOND 26

Comments

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Supposed environmentalist prepares to perpetrate evil for great profit is a natural.

If I can say that.

51L900LU3xS.jpg
    6274216062560590973c9792a8589bb8.png

Supposed environmentalist prepares to perpetrate evil for great profit is a natural.

If I can say that.

51L900LU3xS.jpg

Off topic, but I love Pan book covers.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    Ludovico wrote: »

If I can say that.

51L900LU3xS.jpg

Off topic, but I love Pan book covers.

Me too.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Agree that's off topic. And me, too.

The vintage style is fan art of course, I love seeing them.

eae827acfcfc05789bf8e3b2f980ee43.jpg
    007HallY wrote: »
    Must admit I’m not a huge fan of Scaramanga from the novel. The film version is much more compelling. Simply casting Lee gives the character a more debonaire and even Bond-like quality that works better than the thuggish man we get in the novel. Even when they arguably adapted elements of the character in other films (notably Silva having his homoerotic moment with Bond, if that’s even adapted from Scaramanga) they’ve never used the character fully. I’d honestly go as far to say a faithful Scaramanga might work better as a henchman (and even then not necessarily a great one) than a main villain.

Otherwise they could come up with interesting stuff loosely adapting, say, Grant’s backstory (it’s so weird and even something similar would be cool). Or Mr. Big (very underrated literary Bond villain).

Well, Scaramanga in the novel was pretty much a henchman who happened to be the villain. Not the best Bond villain, but an interesting approach nonetheless. I dream of a return of Mr Big, with the Haitian background, full name, his general appearance and his epic death. Change Solitaire's name and make her Black, to avoid any unfortunate racial connotations.

I remember reading the book for the first time and naturally presuming Solitare was mixed race (something about her skin colour being that of whites who had lived long in the tropics/Fleming literally writing that she looks like the granddaughter of a French General slave owner or whatever. Always assumed it was a nasty euphemism of some kind for something that had gone on between that General and his female slaves).

Mr. Big is a really interesting villain though.
    Maybe we could take some plots from the unused short stories like 'From A View To A Kill' with the SHAPE organization and the courier thing? I think that's a bit interesting.
  • DaltonforyouDaltonforyou The Daltonator
    I think Bond needs to visit the race track. Adapt Murder on Wheels but with F1. Although Brad Pitt beat them to it.
    If a Bond film didn't have to borrow from another successful film or even other Bond films, I would be glad. I don't want to see Bond fighting robots, AI, or any of the already done to death tech scenarios that are already boring. Not interested in villains who control the news and shape world events. The beauty of FRWL was the simplicity of the plot. Entice Bond with an attractive woman with a coding machine and embarrass the British government with his death and salacious film footage. A Bond story on a more personal level and without as much scale would be a nice change.
  • edited July 20 Posts: 3,744
    CrabKey wrote: »
    If a Bond film didn't have to borrow from another successful film or even other Bond films, I would be glad. I don't want to see Bond fighting robots, AI, or any of the already done to death tech scenarios that are already boring. Not interested in villains who control the news and shape world events. The beauty of FRWL was the simplicity of the plot. Entice Bond with an attractive woman with a coding machine and embarrass the British government with his death and salacious film footage. A Bond story on a more personal level and without as much scale would be a nice change.

Well, I’d say FRWL’s plot is quite convoluted in a way (especially compared to the book with the whole idea of SPECTRE playing both sides, and it works well). And it’s very much a film of its time/has its Hitchcock influences (that’s nothing against the film - it’s my favourite Bond film and I think it shows how well made and classic it is).

But otherwise I get you. I agree, I don’t necessarily want an AI plot, although like anything I think it depends on how it’s done. You could have a FRWL type cat and mouse story with more modern tech (the Lektor device is effectively a modern piece of 60s tech). Similarly you could have a film which starts smaller scale and by the end Bond has to thwart a major attack/world changing event the villain is planning (pretty much like DN really).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The thing with AI or hacking-based plots is that they’re not very visual; there’s no iconography associated with them other than computer banks. Compared to stacks of gold bars or submarines there’s not much very movie-worthy there. GE managed to make it work with a giant eye-catching radio dish (actually I’d never really considered how crazily oversized it is- all they’re doing is signalling a satellite!) but I don’t know how you make hacking big and sexy.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Being chauffeured by Tibbett
    edited July 20 Posts: 633
    mtm wrote: »
    The thing with AI or hacking-based plots is that they’re not very visual; there’s no iconography associated with them other than computer banks. Compared to stacks of gold bars or submarines there’s not much very movie-worthy there. GE managed to make it work with a giant eye-catching radio dish (actually I’d never really considered how crazily oversized it is- all they’re doing is signalling a satellite!) but I don’t know how you make hacking big and sexy.

I was watching GE with my dad last year and he told me that even in the mid-90s you could've done that from a laptop anywhere in the world (he's worked in software engineering since the 80s).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Heh, yeah- could probably do it with your phone now! Not quite as exciting a climax though :D
    Must admit I’m not a huge fan of Scaramanga from the novel. The film version is much more compelling. Simply casting Lee gives the character a more debonaire and even Bond-like quality that works better than the thuggish man we get in the novel. Even when they arguably adapted elements of the character in other films (notably Silva having his homoerotic moment with Bond, if that’s even adapted from Scaramanga) they’ve never used the character fully. I’d honestly go as far to say a faithful Scaramanga might work better as a henchman (and even then not necessarily a great one) than a main villain.

Otherwise they could come up with interesting stuff loosely adapting, say, Grant’s backstory (it’s so weird and even something similar would be cool). Or Mr. Big (very underrated literary Bond villain).

Well, Scaramanga in the novel was pretty much a henchman who happened to be the villain. Not the best Bond villain, but an interesting approach nonetheless. I dream of a return of Mr Big, with the Haitian background, full name, his general appearance and his epic death. Change Solitaire's name and make her Black, to avoid any unfortunate racial connotations.

I remember reading the book for the first time and naturally presuming Solitare was mixed race (something about her skin colour being that of whites who had lived long in the tropics/Fleming literally writing that she looks like the granddaughter of a French General slave owner or whatever. Always assumed it was a nasty euphemism of some kind for something that had gone on between that General and his female slaves).

I always understood that she might have some Black blood too. I think Fleming could not be too explicit about this, as interracial relationship, even with mixed races, must have been at least frowned upon.

Yes, Mr Big is a great villain and pretty much "untouched" by the LALD adaptation. I can even think of a few actors who would fit the bill perfectly. Steve Tientcheu would be my top choice. He pretty much played a Mr Big kind of character in the season 3 of Lupin.
  • edited July 20 Posts: 3,744

I always understood that she might have some Black blood too. I think Fleming could not be too explicit about this, as interracial relationship, even with mixed races, must have been at least frowned upon.

Yes, Mr Big is a great villain and pretty much "untouched" by the LALD adaptation. I can even think of a few actors who would fit the bill perfectly. Steve Tientcheu would be my top choice. He pretty much played a Mr Big kind of character in the season 3 of Lupin.

For me it felt euphemistic not about interracial relationships , but rather the French colonial slave owner in question outright raping those slaves and having a daughter who passed enough to be raised in the household. Not nice, but I know it’s something historically that did happen on occasion. It can definitely be read as a more consensual dalliance though. Could well just be me reading something that’s not there at all, and I think modern readers have a tough time associating Solitare’s face being ‘born to command’ with the line about that slave owner (ie. We don’t automatically see that as a positive association and instead look at the lines about her pallor being that of white families who have lived long in the tropics, the high cheek bones etc). Not read the book in a while though, and not sure what Fleming had in mind off the top of my head/if he ever discussed it.

Good shout. I can see Tientcheu playing a Bond villain.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited July 21 Posts: 14,448
    I mentioned a year or two back how I wanted a Bond film to deeply involve Universal Exports, and it was about Bond investigating several deaths or disappearances of Univex employees around the world. He would travel the globe to each HQ gathering the clues which would inevitably lead him back to the London branch at 57 Trafalgar Square aka MI6! SPECTRE has discovered that Univex is just a front, and is stealthily infiltrating MI6 headquarters globally (cue imagery of a giant octopus clutching the Earth [which is a simple Univex logo, perhaps with the lines of latitude/longitude present]). The story ends with a company name change (maybe not 'Transworld Consortium', but similar vibes).

The Man from Univex (1st choice for title)
    Univex
    The Exporter - tagline: 'He's an importer of goods exporting the bad'

for consideration: 'import' (in Latin): Importàre or Exportaré (I will export)
    QBranch wrote: »
    I mentioned a year or two back how I wanted a Bond film to deeply involve Universal Exports, and it was about Bond investigating several deaths or disappearances of Univex employees around the world. He would travel the globe to each HQ gathering the clues which would inevitably lead him back to the London branch at 57 Trafalgar Square aka MI6! SPECTRE has discovered that Univex is just a front, and is stealthily infiltrating MI6 headquarters globally (cue imagery of a giant octopus clutching the Earth [which is a simple Univex logo, perhaps with the lines of latitude/longitude present]). The story ends with a company name change (maybe not 'Transworld Consortium', but similar vibes).

The Man from Univex (1st choice for title)
    Univex

for consideration: 'import' (in Latin): Importàre

We literally need @Univex in here 😉
    SIS_HQ wrote: »
    We'll ship him over, with tracking!
    I like this concept which revolves around the ultimately classic idea of ​​seeing Bond investigate the assassination of colleagues, but turning it in an original way. However, I think the concept of seeing Bond go from one HQ gathering to another works better in serialised form, like a comic book.

Also, Broccoli and Wilson's appreciation of an original concept is often quite limited. Purvis and Wade, for example, have already described having pitched fairly radical proposals to Eon and that each time their ideas had been rejected when they went too far outside the usual framework. They proposed to have a voiceover narration like a film noir or to have Bond evolving in a closed place, and it was rejected.

For me it felt euphemistic not about interracial relationships , but rather the French colonial slave owner in question outright raping those slaves and having a daughter who passed enough to be raised in the household. Not nice, but I know it’s something historically that did happen on occasion. It can definitely be read as a more consensual dalliance though. Could well just be me reading something that’s not there at all, and I think modern readers have a tough time associating Solitare’s face being ‘born to command’ with the line about that slave owner (ie. We don’t automatically see that as a positive association and instead look at the lines about her pallor being that of white families who have lived long in the tropics, the high cheek bones etc). Not read the book in a while though, and not sure what Fleming had in mind off the top of my head/if he ever discussed it.

Good shout. I can see Tientcheu playing a Bond villain.

My only reservation about Tientcheu is that he might be a fairly limited actor. I haven't seen him in enough things to pass judgment. But in Lupin I think he was so perfectly menacing. I can easily imagine him as Mr Big, at least in physique.
    edited July 23 Posts: 14,448
    I like this concept which revolves around the ultimately classic idea of seeing Bond investigate the assassination of colleagues, but turning it in an original way. However, I think the concept of seeing Bond go from one HQ gathering to another works better in serialised form, like a comic book.

Also, Broccoli and Wilson's appreciation of an original concept is often quite limited. Purvis and Wade, for example, have already described having pitched fairly radical proposals to Eon and that each time their ideas had been rejected when they went too far outside the usual framework. They proposed to have a voiceover narration like a film noir or to have Bond evolving in a closed place, and it was rejected.
    Cheers, @Herr_Stockmann. Bond could travel to one HQ undercover with an alias, visit a UE warehouse at an airfield (see Hammerhead) and snoop around at the docks. We would see UE vehicles and at one point Bond could drive the staff car. It might follow the story/investigative work of DN and LALD and with more metropolitan/industrial locales. 'The Man from Univex' sounds like a noir-ish film and I'd like there to be elements of that visually.

SPECTRE, having targeted Univex, puts on the stranglehold:
    53872378817_91bd0d125d_m.jpg
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Being chauffeured by Tibbett

a9b2305b-8bdb-4419-aeb3-d2662725e5a9-text.gif
  • edited July 22 Posts: 324
    I think New Zealand or Australia should be used/or considered as a location in Bond 26 so the screenwriters could adapt any storyline to feature those countries. For example there is a big action scene around or inside Sidney opera house.

082abec166a817adfae646daff53ad70.jpeg?rect=0%2C0%2C2048%2C1536&w=2048&h=1536&rot=360&q=eyJ0eXBlIjoibGlzdGluZyIsImxpc3RpbmdJZCI6IjU2YjIzYzkyZDVmMTU2NTA0NWQ4MTBkMiIsImRpc3RyaWJ1dG9ySWQiOiI1NmIxZWI5MzQ0ZmVjYTNkZjJlMzIwYzgiLCJhcGlrZXlJZCI6IjU2YjFlZTU5MGNmMjEzYWQyMGRjNTgxOSJ9

The large harbour (Port Jackson) would be ideal for a boat chase. Bond vs Spectre boat assassins or water drones. B-)
    bondywondy wrote: »
    I think New Zealand or Australia should be used/or considered as a location in Bond 26 so the screenwriters could adapt any storyline to feature those countries. For example there is a big action scene around or inside Sidney opera house.

082abec166a817adfae646daff53ad70.jpeg?rect=0%2C0%2C2048%2C1536&w=2048&h=1536&rot=360&q=eyJ0eXBlIjoibGlzdGluZyIsImxpc3RpbmdJZCI6IjU2YjIzYzkyZDVmMTU2NTA0NWQ4MTBkMiIsImRpc3RyaWJ1dG9ySWQiOiI1NmIxZWI5MzQ0ZmVjYTNkZjJlMzIwYzgiLCJhcGlrZXlJZCI6IjU2YjFlZTU5MGNmMjEzYWQyMGRjNTgxOSJ9

The large harbour (Port Jackson) would be ideal for a boat chase. Bond vs Spectre boat assassins or water drones. B-)

I'd love to see the Sydney Opera House featured, but the scene would need to be very different from the Tosca scene in QOS. Less action centric maybe?

I'd love to see the Sydney Opera House featured, but the scene would need to be very different from the Tosca scene in QOS. Less action centric maybe?

More like TLD opera scene?

More like TLD opera scene?

Haven't seen it in a while. I was thinking of something tense and suspenseful, but somewhat slow. Maybe Bond must identify a villain, or he meets a villain but cannot confront him because of his surroundings.

a9b2305b-8bdb-4419-aeb3-d2662725e5a9-text.gif
    Perfect!

I have… arrived ;)
    Univex wrote: »

I have… arrived ;)

We need you for this mission.
    Okay just seen this article/pictorama (I think that's the proper term): https://www.theguardian.com/world/gallery/2024/jul/22/emerald-hunters-in-colombia-in-pictures

And not sure if it isn't more fitting for an old fashioned crime fiction story, but emeralds as a MacGuffin and villain's motivation could also work for a Bond film. Let's say an emerald trafficker with ties to terrorist organisations and kleptocrats. Use elements of LALD and DAF, maybe even TMWTGG...
  • DaltonforyouDaltonforyou The Daltonator
    edited July 24 Posts: 496
    I'd like to see the geopolitical angle return to the bond series,

done in the same way as an octopussy or The Living Daylights.

China, Iran, North Korea, the EU etc.

They have this talk of "Is Bond still relevant?", but how can he be relevant if you're not willing to place him in our world?

Bond could expose a Chinese secret police station in Birmingham where he uncovers a SILVERROSE with a code on it, which analyzing the DNA on, leads him to Beijing to party at a Chinese Garden. Etc.