Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited September 25 Posts: 5,968
    bondywondy wrote: »
    [...] people won't care that much that Bond is technically dead! Bond 26 in 2027 should feel fresh.
    I don't think, at this point in time, that many people, if any, truly care that he died at the end of the last film or even remember, outside of die hard fans.

As for Aaron Pierre, I agree with @Kodak007 @007HallY, I see him more as action hero than gentleman spy.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited September 25 Posts: 1,632
    It's really alarming what some people would let pass as James Bond. Elordi gets everything wrong. Lazenby is hardly an argument for doing that sort of thing again.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Being chauffeured by Tibbett
    edited September 26 Posts: 659
    007HallY wrote: »
    Kojak007 wrote: »
    Aaron Pierre was excellent in "Rebel Ridge", but not sure if he would be right for Bond. However, I think he would be great as Jack Reacher, for example.

I haven’t seen him in much (I think he’s a really good actor incidentally from what I have seen of him). But I agree to an extent. Seems more like he’d play a great villain in a Bond movie rather than Bond to me.

I’m happy to be proven wrong if he is picked though.

Interesting. Are there any particular qualities that you feel are lacking, or that couldn't be developed?
    Denbigh wrote: »
    bondywondy wrote: »
    [...] people won't care that much that Bond is technically dead! Bond 26 in 2027 should feel fresh.
    I don't think, at this point in time, that many people, if any, truly care that he died at the end of the last film or even remember, outside of die hard fans.

As for Aaron Pierre, I agree with @Kodak007 @007HallY, I see him more as action hero than gentleman spy.

I see what you mean, but a lot of people probably would've said similar things about Connery back in '61. That he was too much of a rugged brute. But I think it's easier to mould a tough guy into a suave sophisticate than vice versa.
    LucknFate wrote: »
    It's really alarming what some people would let pass as James Bond. Elordi gets everything wrong. Lazenby is hardly an argument for doing that sort of thing again.

I have to agree. He looks good and that's about it. And it's a shame we haven't moved on from casting white actors as Heathcliff when the character as described in the book is most likely not.
    Aaron Pierre was excellent in "Rebel Ridge", but not sure if he would be right for Bond. However, I think he would be great as Jack Reacher, for example.

I haven’t seen him in much (I think he’s a really good actor incidentally from what I have seen of him). But I agree to an extent. Seems more like he’d play a great villain in a Bond movie rather than Bond to me.

Interesting. Are there any particular qualities that you feel are lacking, or that couldn't be developed?

To be completely honest, I think it's because he's so damn muscular and has a very specific face (he's almost pretty, but at the same time very rugged). He's just ever so slightly different than what I tend to think of in relation to Bond.

But like I said, I'm happy to be proven wrong. It's not out of the realm of possibility he could be cast.
  • edited September 26 Posts: 122
    im just glad we have a date to look forward too 2027 isn't too far away
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

Where has 2027 been officially announced?

To be completely honest, I think it's because he's so damn muscular and has a very specific face (he's almost pretty, but at the same time very rugged). He's just ever so slightly different than what I tend to think of in relation to Bond.

But like I said, I'm happy to be proven wrong. It's not out of the realm of possibility he could be cast.

He has weird eyes.

He's a bit of a black Jason Statham. Bondian but not in the right way.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited September 26 Posts: 8,368
    talos7 wrote: »

Just people getting a little over zealous, my good man. There's still nothing to suggest that whatever was holding up development between January 2022 and now has been resolved.
  • edited September 26 Posts: 924
    Doomsday (2026)
    Secret War (May 2027)
    B26 (Summer '27)
    Star Wars (Dec 2027)

Squeeze my first film in right between the action.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    We aren't likely to see Bond 26 until 2028 unfortunately. Barbara is busy with othello and as Calvin Dyson points out they need some kind of plan in place because Micheal Wilson won't see out the next era as a main producer.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited September 26 Posts: 5,968

He's just ever so slightly different than what I tend to think of in relation to Bond.
    To try and possibly elaborate on your thoughts @007HallY as well as my own...

James Bond isn't a model. He's handsome and desirable of course, but beautiful and unique, which are words I would happily describe Pierre as, isn't the character. Plus, mix that with the fact that he's quite large and muscular as well as tall (6'3"), I'd say this is what's holding me back from imagining Pierre in the role.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    talos7 wrote: »

Just people getting a little over zealous, my good man. There's still nothing to suggest that whatever was holding up development between January 2022 and now has been resolved.

Care to take a bet on that? The equivalent of a hundred pounds? I’m good for it, 😂.

He's just ever so slightly different than what I tend to think of in relation to Bond.

James Bond isn't a model. He's handsome and desirable of course, but beautiful and unique, which are words I would happily describe Pierre as, isn't the character. Plus, mix that with the fact that he's quite large and muscular as well as tall (6'3"), I'd say this is what's holding me back from imagining Pierre in the role.

Yeah, well said (better than I did). I think when someone is too good looking in that way and too tall/muscular as Pierre is, it takes something away from Bond. Bond should be a bit rough around the edges in many ways - good looking and physically fit no doubt, but not necessarily a model. It’s why I said I can more easily see Pierre as a villain.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

It’s why I said I can more easily see Pierre as a villain.
    100%, whether as the main villain or a henchman in the vein of Red Grant or Jaws, he'd bring a lot to a role like that based on what I have seen of him.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited September 26 Posts: 9,469
    I like Pierre a lot and can certainly see him being a strong candidate if they open up casting to include men of different skin tones.

This kid has lots of talent and charisma. He also has edginess. He’s physically fit and although he has stunning eyes and is incredibly handsome, I don’t find him to be a model-type and his looks don’t overwhelm his over all performances.

I’d say his handsomeness is on the same level as an ATJ/Theo James.

And at thirty , he has great maturity and gravitas.

Rebel Ridge was a flawed film, with a great set up (seemingly inspired by First Blood), but the script got in its own way and started to go in circles. But Pierre was an anchor and made it worth watching.

FOE is another flawed film where he plays a very different character, but again, this kid filled the screen with his presence (and he did overpower Paul Mescal in it).

Jacob Elordi’s recent casting as Heathcliff is causing quite a stir on social media, and I can understand why. However, at the same time he seems like an ideal choice for a brooding, angst-ridden, Byronic hero—a role previously taken on by the likes of Ralph Fiennes and Timothy Dalton. Having now appeared in Saltburn, The Sweet East, Frankenstein, and soon in Wuthering Heights—all English characters—it feels like Elordi is naturally entering the conversation for Bond. Plus, with George Lazenby having already set the precedent, it wouldn’t be a stretch to have another Australian in the role.

Really not sure about his face, but good observations. I'd rather they cast someone with these productions on his CV than, say, a Marvel movie. (And that's not a dig at ATJ).
  • edited October 7 Posts: 6,709
    Just (painfully) saw Mr. Malcom's list at that historical revisionist channel called Netflix and I must say, with three Bond contenders in its cast - Theo James, Some Dirisu and Oliver Jackson-Cohen, it really shows how none of them is suitable for Bond.

I've been a Theo James advocate for quite some time, and I really never saw the appeal of Dirisu, but no, neither of them has the chops for it.

It's a period piece, albeit an agenda driven piece in the likes of Bridgerton, despite not having the benefit of its fictional universe, following the inclusivity thread in historically incorrect contexts, in the footsteps of the latest Persuasion adaptation. But it really shows, in comparison to something like Poldark, that Aidan Turner is the better actor, with more screen presence and charisma. Yes, shoot me if you will. But that is my opinion, and nothing beyond just that. Nothing to do with race, btw. I'm all for inclusivity. But I'm also for historical accuracy.

Anyway, Captain Ross Poldark would wipe the floor with these three fellas, I tell ya ;)

There, got it off my chest.

Cheers, hope everything's just dandy around here in the forums these days.

Oh, btw, none of them will be Bond, of course :) Ships have sailed and so forth.
    Leo Suter…
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Univex wrote: »
    Just (painfully) saw Mr. Malcom's list at that historical revisionist channel called Netflix and I must say, with three Bond contenders in its cast - Theo James, Some Dirisu and Oliver Jackson-Cohen, it really shows how none of them is suitable for Bond.

I've been a Theo James advocate for quite some time, and I really never saw the appeal of Dirisu, but no, neither of them has the chops for it.

It's a period piece, albeit an agenda driven piece in the likes of Bridgerton, despite not having the benefit of its fictional universe, following the inclusivity thread in historically incorrect contexts, in the footsteps of the latest Persuasion adaptation. But it really shows, in comparison to something like Poldark, that Aidan Turner is the better actor, with more screen presence and charisma. Yes, shoot me if you will. But that is my opinion, and nothing beyond just that. Nothing to do with race, btw. I'm all for inclusivity. But I'm also for historical accuracy.

Anyway, Captain Ross Poldark would wipe the floor with these three fellas, I tell ya ;)

There, got it off my chest.

Cheers, hope everything's just dandy around here in the forums these days.

Oh, btw, none of them will be Bond, of course :) Ships have sailed and so forth.

Aidan Turner’s Ross Poldark was wimpy compared with Robin Ellis’s. I found the fight against the three brothers rather unconvincing in the new version as they failed to disguise that Turner isn’t that big. I was brought up on the 1970’s version though, so I’m biased.

Though perhaps not a helpful thing to say, I find it difficult to know how good an actor will be in a part until I’ve actually seen them in it (and of course by then it’s too late). There have been several actors I’ve not rated until they got a part they shone in - I used to think Mark Strong was a very dull actor before he hit a patch of roles that made him a favourite of mine; now I don’t know if he suddenly got better or whether he just needed the right roles, but something changed for me around about 2007, when he played the bad guy in Stardust, and he’s been fun in everything I’ve seen him in since.

007-wise, I’d still like to roll the die on Nicholas Hoult developing gravitas as he ages, but it could go very wrong.
    Yes, I get that. And I have to agree. Although I still think Turner would've been great as Bond. Alas, not to be.

Have we talked about this Jonathan Bailey fella? I think he has something. Dunno. Still young at 36. Anyway, just throwing in another name to the holey basket ;)

jonathan-baileys-photoshoot-for-esquire-2023-v0-6y270w11jwdb1.jpg?width=980&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=d0b104b9ce042457bb5986335132c20c43013330

Turner’s never done much for me as a potential Bond. I think it’s safe to say he’s an unlikely choice now. I don’t think it’s an issue of age, but more one where he simply wouldn’t be on EON’s radar. And much like Theo James he’s openly said he’s not interested, and personally I believe him.

Maybe I haven’t seen enough of Bailey, but I’m not sure if he’s got that harder edge/gravitas needed for Bond. He can do charming, but he just lacks that extra something. I might be off the mark, but I think it’s better that a potential Bond showcase things like intensity, gravitas, a raw/distinct screen presence etc. more than necessarily the suaveness/charm in their non-Bond roles.
    I think Turner could have done a great job, but his window has closed.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Univex wrote: »
    Yes, I get that. And I have to agree. Although I still think Turner would've been great as Bond. Alas, not to be.

Have we talked about this Jonathan Bailey fella? I think he has something. Dunno. Still young at 36. Anyway, just throwing in another name to the holey basket ;)

jonathan-baileys-photoshoot-for-esquire-2023-v0-6y270w11jwdb1.jpg?width=980&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=d0b104b9ce042457bb5986335132c20c43013330

He’s been mentioned many times, the first being back in 2021 by @Kojak007

I don’t have strong feelings about him one way or another. I will say that I found both Regé-Jean Page and Luke Thompson on the same show had more of that Bond charisma in evidence, but that is of course subjective. The fact that the actor is openly gay might actually be a plus-point in this diversity-conscious era.

As always, I’d love to see some of these candidates tackle a Bond scene. It’s the only way you’re really going to know whether you’d like them as Bond or not.
  • edited October 8 Posts: 1,283
    He is doing Jurassic World. It's too late.

There is a lot of competition out there.
    Having watched probably the equivalent to half an episode of Bridgeton here and there (usually when someone else in the room is watching it), I’m not sure if I can imagine any of that cast as Bond. Luke Thompson and Bailey blend together in my mind and Jean Page isn’t that interesting an actor for me.

Again, I think Bond potential from an actor will often be there in slightly different roles than suave, charming types. An actor needs something a bit more to be on EON’s radar I feel (again, it’s that gravitas. None of the Bridgeton lot have that I feel).
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Agree completely re. gravitas. I just don't see many young British actors who have this quality in the way that, say, Craig or Jason Isaacs did 20 years ago. A lot of them seem to have a boyish quality, if anything.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Being chauffeured by Tibbett
    All good points at @007HallY. The ability to embody gravitas and that raw screen presence you described are better indicators of an actor's suitability than anything else. Not to say that urbanity and sophistication aren't also important, but they're more external and thus, it's easier for an actor to modify himself to project those qualities, whereas gravitas and intensity have to come from within.

I've previously been on the Aidan Turner and Theo James trains, but I've been convinced that neither are really right for the role. While they both seem superficially perfect, I could imagine them giving fairly safe and rather bland portrayals. They're both fine actors, but they lack that special something.
    All good points at @007HallY. The ability to embody gravitas and that raw screen presence you described are better indicators of an actor's suitability than anything else. Not to say that urbanity and sophistication aren't also important, but they're more external and thus, it's easier for an actor to modify himself to project those qualities, whereas gravitas and intensity have to come from within.

I've previously been on the Aidan Turner and Theo James trains, but I've been convinced that neither are really right for the role. While they both seem superficially perfect, I could imagine them giving fairly safe and rather bland portrayals. They're both fine actors, but they lack that special something.

I think there’s definitely something to that idea that it’s easier for an actor to modify themselves to those aspects of Bond. It’s why Connery could come along and be ‘taught’ about how a Saville Row suit is worn/fitted, or what dining in a nice restaurant is like. Heck, whenever anyone at EON have been interviewed about what they look for in a potential Bond they never say he needs to look good in a suit or even have that suave quality themselves. It’s all about gravitas.
  • edited October 9 Posts: 6,709
    Couldn't agree more, about gravitas, that is.

That being said, we're in trouble, aren't we? These youngsters don't seem to have those kinds of chops. Actually, people have been commenting for a while on the death of real movie stars. I mean, charismatic world leaders, deep thinkers, icons,..., they're all a thing of the (close) past, aren't they? The capitalist idea that you can buy your way into everything (example: wanna be the next Einstein? Just take your fast course in physics; Wanna be the next Van Gogh, buy our paint by numbers canvas;...). Everyone can be everything. Everyone can publish a book. Everyone can be a writer (on today's standards for art, of course they can). And things like traits that were unique to a person and were once admired, are now quickly shot down. The fight for difference resulted in more uniformisation. Wanna be different, cool, you should be yourself. Wanna be special, of course you can, everyone can. Bit of a post-modern paradox there. But, in the end, and this of course is a small point of a larger conversations, we ended up with no real geniuses, charismatic leaders, iconoclasts, ... And it shows, particularly in global politics, and in the arts department ;)

Not that I want to be a negativist. I still say this will turn on itself one of these days. We need people we can look up to. We need to know our real strengths and our real weaknesses.

So, in the end, only a true outlier, a lightning in a bottle, a divergent can be the next Bond. I wish them luck. It'll be a hard task, that's for sure.
  • edited October 9 Posts: 4,004
    I think the only real thing a lot of younger actors are lacking is hindsight, and it’s to do with us. I’m not sure if that many people pre-DN would have looked at Connery’s previous roles and seen his full potential as an actor, much less Bond. We know not everyone immediately saw Bond in Craig. In both actors star potential and gravitas was seen by the producers.

It’s why casting isn’t an easy job. Finding that potential isn’t always straightforward, even if it’s there.