The DANIEL CRAIG Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I personally agree with the conclusion (which has some scientific basis re: symmetry), but it's not really relevant. There's far more to being Bond than one's face. There's acting, screen charisma (or presence), voice, physique and script. I don't think facial looks are necessarily what this man is known or respected for, even if there are some who think he's appealing in this regard.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Being attractive isn't exclusive to how classically/traditionally handsome one is.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Being attractive isn't exclusive to how classically/traditionally handsome one is.
    Exactly.
  • It's just a bit of fun. He can't help looking a bit like Sid James.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 6,601
    BTW solace, I think I told you before, you are not welcome to this thread. Respect that.

I know, you are probably the least respectful person on here, but I ask you all the same.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou, but I now hear a new dog barkin'
    I just looked into this thread for the first time since joining this board almost a year ago and would like to add that when CR was being prepared and came out, the few female members on the IMDb James Bond (or CR) board mostly were overwhelmed by how attractive Craig was. I specifically remember one lady comparing (or equating) him to Steve McQueen.

Now I'm neither a woman nor otherwise someone who would put special value on Craig's physical attractiveness, but I still think he's filling the role quite amazingly, and except for his increasing age could live with him for a few more Bond movies. He's the best Bond since Connery for me, no matter if one finds him "not suave" or whatever.
  • His run of Bond movies has been of the most consistently high quality since the 60's. He's a fantastic actor, who's bough a lot more to the roll than some of the other actors who played the part, and to point out his funny face, is quite childish. Let's keep his funny face out of it, and concentrate on his acting.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    shamanimal wrote: »
    His run of Bond movies has been of the most consistently high quality since the 60's. He's a fantastic actor, who's bough a lot more to the roll than some of the other actors who played the part, and to point out his funny face, is quite childish. Let's keep his funny face out of it, and concentrate on his acting.

+1

I'd say - and this is just my personal opinion, of course - how traditionally handsome a man is has very, very, very little to do with how attractive he is. I'll never understand the over-importance often put on mere looks. Attractiveness consists of a combination of stuff, and how a person looks is just one aspect of it, and not a particularly important one, either. A guy can be extremely handsome ("traditionally" or otherwise) and fit, and whatnot and still be either boring or even off putting. Or not traditionally handsome and not fit and still be very attractive. Or be neither handsome nor attractive. Or be both handsome and attractive. Now Hollywood has tons of traditionally handsome actors, and for most part I couldn't care less. I'm not going to find someone attractive just because of how they look. Certainly when I find out someone who is handsome has a winning personality, then it'll be "well helloooo" but I actually think I'm more likely to pay less (rather than more) attention to traditionally handsome actors. And it's the same with someone who is not handsome, but has an awesome personality - that'll be "well helloooo" as well then.

That doesn't mean physical beauty is meaningless. It can certainly be a bonus. But on its own it is indeed meaningless. (To me that is.)

The very idea that an actor's (or anybody else's) attractiveness could be decided by an analysis of some physical features is laughable to me. First because the physical side is only a fraction of a person's attractiveness anyway, and also because when it comes to such things opinions vary. But personality, charm, charisma carry far more weight than any physical attribute could.

I think Craig is attractive - and indeed the most attractive Bond as far as I'm concerned - but not because of how he looks or doesn't look, but because of how he is. The guy's just got it.

In general - at least that's my impression - men are more obsessed with looks-only (or looks-more-than-anything) way of thinking than women are. And often assume women look at men the way they look at women. Not the case. Might be for some, sure, but so often just isn't.
  • mattjoesmattjoes has three men to kill
    Tuulia wrote: »

I'd say - and this is just my personal opinion, of course - how traditionally handsome a man is has very, very, very little to do with how attractive he is. I'll never understand the over-importance often put on mere looks. Attractiveness consists of a combination of stuff, and how a person looks is just one aspect of it, and not a particularly important one, either. A guy can be extremely handsome ("traditionally" or otherwise) and fit, and whatnot and still be either boring or even off putting. Or not traditionally handsome and not fit and still be very attractive. Or be neither handsome nor attractive. Or be both handsome and attractive. Now Hollywood has tons of traditionally handsome actors, and for most part I couldn't care less. I'm not going to find someone attractive just because of how they look. Certainly when I find out someone who is handsome has a winning personality, then it'll be "well helloooo" but I actually think I'm more likely to pay less (rather than more) attention to traditionally handsome actors. And it's the same with someone who is not handsome, but has an awesome personality - that'll be "well helloooo" as well then.

That doesn't mean physical beauty is meaningless. It can certainly be a bonus. But on its own it is indeed meaningless. (To me that is.)

The very idea that an actor's (or anybody else's) attractiveness could be decided by an analysis of some physical features is laughable to me. First because the physical side is only a fraction of a person's attractiveness anyway, and also because when it comes to such things opinions vary. But personality, charm, charisma carry far more weight than any physical attribute could.

I think Craig is attractive - and indeed the most attractive Bond as far as I'm concerned - but not because of how he looks or doesn't look, but because of how he is. The guy's just got it.

In general - at least that's my impression - men are more obsessed with looks-only (or looks-more-than-anything) way of thinking than women are. And often assume women look at men the way they look at women. Not the case. Might be for some, sure, but so often just isn't.
    That's it.

Craig may be the actor with the least symmetrical face, but that doesn't make him the least attractive actor.
    His features work as a whole - amazingly, since one doesn’t seem to fit with the other, bit together they do. Add the eyes, the smile, the voice and you get a very attractive package.

Like it is, he looks different from every angle, he takes good shots and lesser ones, but it’s never boring. He has the most interesting face I have ever seen.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I just looked into this thread for the first time since joining this board almost a year ago and would like to add that when CR was being prepared and came out, the few female members on the IMDb James Bond (or CR) board mostly were overwhelmed by how attractive Craig was. I specifically remember one lady comparing (or equating) him to Steve McQueen.

I admit I was one of the people who, when Craig was cast as Bond, went "what the heck's this? He's blonde and his ears stick out funny", but approximately five seconds of his acting sold me on the gig.

I might not find him attractive on a 'phwoar, hot' level but I do find him very striking, charismatic and powerful, and I don't want to take my eyes off him when he's onscreen.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    So with the Aston Martin that seals it. Craig is back for BOND 25. And likely BOND 26.

Because he's strapped for money.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    So with the Aston Martin that seals it. Craig is back for BOND 25. And likely BOND 26.

It's for charity. Even if it wasn't, I'd be shocked if he was hurting for money all of a sudden.

Since its for charity, this is a rather xxx thought. I am sure, he loves that car but gives it away anyway for an unstitution he believes in.

So maybe read the whole text before you come to wrong conclusions.
    Doesn't he have some kind of deal for life with the company on account of his role as James Bond? I thought I read somewhere that he gets a new one free of charge from them every year. If so, then he's just auctioning off his previous one.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I didn't read about that, but didn't his wife, Rachel, buy him a red Aston Martin for his birthday a couple of years ago?
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I didn't read about that, but didn't his wife, Rachel, buy him a red Aston Martin for his birthday a couple of years ago?
    Yes, I think I read about that a while back.

I got it wrong. He doesn't necessarily get them for free but he can drive one anytime he wants, including testing it on a special track. Nevertheless, when he auctions them off as he has done over the years he is giving the company free publicity which they should compensate him for.

https://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/21/daniel-craig-gets-free-pass-to-drive-astons-for-life/
    as far as I know, he only owns one. This one. He kept it hidden un a garage outside NY, at his other home.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    The one Rachel gave him?
    I believe Rachels was a Jag, a blue one
    Well here he is with a red Aston around the time of his birthday in 2013, so you could be right.
    http://www.eonline.com/ca/news/396585/daniel-craig-snags-new-red-aston-martin
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Germanlady wrote: »
    So maybe read the whole text before you come to wrong conclusions.
    What, you think Craig might not do BOND 26? I don't do emoticons.
    You said, he is strapped for money, which is wrong. But if you were ironically, without emoticons its sometimes hard to say. Anyway, I dont think and dont hope, he is doing 26.
    25 is becoming more unlikely with each month but 26 is really pushing it.
  • DikkoHendersonDikkoHenderson Daniel Craig at the plastic surgery clinic- "Gently my friend Gently... THAT'S NOT BLOODY GENTLY!!"
    edited February 2018 Posts: 50
    Good God, Daniel what have you done to your face? I'd hope this is a case of really bad lighting but I don't think so...

dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5412361/BAFTAs-2018-Daniel-Craig-leaves-fans-baffled-face.html

495D485E00000578-5412361-_He_looks_different_Social_media_was_awash_with_eagle_eyed_fans_-a-54_1519138674085.jpg

Starting to look a bit like Charles Gray!
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited February 2018 Posts: 4,566
    The press has suggested botox.

I think it is more likely that DC's puffiness is a result of facial edema, brought on by medication, particularly testosterone therapy. And this is actually nothing to joke about. I am the same age as DC, and what happens is that your loss of testosterone leads to general misery and unhappiness. In the early stages, the dosage can be off. One of the side effects is indeed fluid retention, as you see here. His hormone levels are likely a little out of whack.
    TripAces wrote: »
    The press has suggested botox.

I think it is more likely that DC's puffiness is a result of facial edema, brought on by medication, particularly testosterone therapy. And this is actually nothing to joke about. I am the same age as DC, and what happens is that your loss of testosterone leads to general misery and unhappiness. In the early stages, the dosage can be off. One of the side effects is indeed fluid retention, as you see here. His hormone levels are likely a little out of whack.
    A sort of male menopause then?

Well, if that's what it is then I wish him well. It can't be easy enduring the predictably harsh remarks that have surfaced online, particularly as they follow comments about his lack of facial symmetry a few weeks ago.

It certainly looks like he has some kind of lymphatic issue.
  • mybudgetbondmybudgetbond The World
    I don't think he has been online since reading of the reaction to his casting! He learned then to stay well away from the internet.